The Biggest Weekend in 100 years – Centennial Weekend.

In the past weeks, arguably the largest event ever to happen this year at Rectory School happened– the Centennial and Spring Family Weekend, together in the same week. Kicked off with the Spring Concert consisting of the well-prepared Spring Musical: Into the Woods as well as performances from our wonderful musicians, we knew this would be a great weekend. 

Our spring concert had two different versions— the Elementary School and Middle School. The elementary concert, which happened prior to most other events, consisted of performances from the Kindergarten to 6th-grade students such as singing and bands. But the highlight of this night was irrefutably the Middle School Concert which happened after school. Started off with a part of “Into the Woods Jr,” parents, faculty, and students enjoyed incredible singing from the RECapella, Chorus, and the music from the Guitar Class, Jazz Band, and Orchestra. 

The Jazz Band played an especially important role in the night’s music. They performed the two songs: Africa and Birdland, and there were incredible solos performed by our saxophone player, Mark, as well as many other great solo performances coming from different instruments. That’s not it– one of the highlights from this concert was definitely the duet Elaine and DJ did in the performance from guitar class. Many students got this chance to learn about the talent of DJ and Elaine in not only playing guitar but singing as well!

Following the Elementary School Concert, our 8th-grade students had the opportunity to meet over 40 secondary schools coming from different parts of the country in our Secondary School Fair. The schools that visited included Phillips Exeter Academy, Hotchkiss School, Choate Rosemary Hall, Loomis Chaffee School, and many more schools, all of them being great schools in the country. With this event, our 8th-grade students would better envision themselves in the process of the future schools they would apply to. 

The students, alumni, parents, and faculty then all had our Centennial Dinner at the Gym, which summed up the events on Friday. Continuing on to Saturday Morning, we also had a Centennial Meal, outside at the Seaward Family Student Pavilion. Following this was an event for our alumnus, which was the Historical Walking Tour of Rectory’s campus, led by Ms. Lisa Levesque. While the tour was happening, our students went for a Spring Egg Hunt ranging from the Pavilion, Upper/Lower Fields, and all the way up to the baseball courts. This egg hunt was then continued with snacks, games, and inflatables, sponsored by the Rectory Parents Association (RPA) on the fields and pavilion, which was arguably the most fun part of the day for students. During this time, a handful of recent alumni students visited to meet current Rectory students as well as their teachers, which was one of the memorable moments of this weekend. 

This day included sports games for almost every team as well—Girls Lacrosse, Softball, JV Tennis, Varsity Tennis, JV Baseball, Varsity Baseball, and Boy’s Varsity Lacrosse all had a home game on Saturday. In addition to these interscholastic sports games, we had a special volleyball match between the Faculty and 9th grade, for their “Bragging Rights.” The match however turned out to be a 8th-grade vs. 9th-grade game with faculty on both sides, the 9th-grade team taking the win. Overall, the weekend was a very fun and competitive experience for everyone on the field.

On the evening of Saturday, we had Alumni Awards Followed by the Centennial Gala. And, most definitely the highlight of this day, the Fireworks happened during the night. The attached photo shows the awe-inspiring seeings from that night.

Last but not least, there was a traditional Celebration and Remembrance Reflection at Christ Church that happened among our alumnus and faculty members that wrapped up the entire weekend. We have had fantastic experiences from the endless events planned for us, and this definitely was the best weekend ever at Rectory.