Lexia: The Ins and Outs

I think everyone in Rectory knows about Lexia. Lexia is very helpful for both native English speakers and international students to understand the English language and grammar. Some students think that Lexia has disadvantages, while some have different opinions about Lexia, and different people have different degrees. I asked Ms. Mungai to share her ideas and perspectives on it. 

Here is what Mrs. Mungai, Director of Teaching and Learning, had to say. She thinks that Lexia allows students to build reading, grammar, and vocabulary skills through a personalized program. She believes that, “I expect students to make connections between Lexia and their other courses. Knowing grammar and gaining a more extensive vocabulary is essential, especially as students transition from middle school to secondary school. Also, there are many connections to make between what a student learns in Lexia and what they are learning in class. Knowing Latin roots, for example, allows students to make sense of unknown words in a textbook. This may let a student get a better grade on a reading assignment. And students need opportunities to develop skills and learn how to manage their time. Acquiring knowledge is a benefit, and I believe that it is universal no matter one’s age.”

However, I found out that some students do not like to do Lexia, and they have their standpoints on it. I asked grade six through nine students to explain their perspectives.

The grade six student thinks that Lexia is helpful for her. It is a great app to use to learn different skills about Lexia. She said she always has time to do Lexia when she finishes her homework. Also, she said that Lexia is helping to fix her grammar. 

A seventh-grade student thinks that Lexia is helpful for him because he can listen and write about things that he did not know before. However, he believes that Lexia can be boring because he needs to listen to the instructions. He said that he does not have time to do Lexia because when he has a lot of homework that is what he needs to do.

The eighth-grader believes that Lexia can help him know simple reading and writing skills. He thinks it is boring, similar to how the seventh-grade student felt, because the students beside him will distract him when he starts, and he cannot concentrate while doing it. 

The ninth-grade student had a harsher take, she thinks that Lexia is not beneficial for her. She does learn things related to grammar but does not think that it would be very effective in helping her in her daily life. She feels that optional Lexia is the optimum choice since students who think they need to practice their skills can do so in their spare time. In contrast, others can focus on their academic priorities, like preparing for tests or asking questions. She is usually quite busy with her other tasks, leaving little time to finish Lexia. In addition, most 9th graders may be preparing for school essays during this period, so there is insufficient time for Lexia. The benefit that Lexia gives to her is providing knowledge related to grammar and sentence organization. 

To put it in a nutshell, sometimes Lexia can bring benefits to students, and sometimes students think that Lexia has disadvantages such as taking time away from other assignments. The students who work on Lexia all say that they have a lot of homework to do, so they do not have a lot of time to do Lexia. I hope students can face the difficulty of doing what they need to do, and they need to manage their time better so they will have more time to do Lexia. The benefits, as Mrs. Mungai shared, can really make a difference.