COVID and Kids

The impact of COVID on kids’ health and wellness.

In an interview with The Guardian, Melinda Gates, said “This pandemic has magnified every existing inequality in our society – like systemic racism, gender inequality, and poverty.” Since the outbreak of COVID-19 in December 2019, people have been suffering from pressure and limitations in various aspects of life, from students’ academic classes to mental, social, and physical health. In addition, the existence of inequality in society is leading to long-term instability for citizens. Nevertheless, what the majority of people have been ignoring is the impact of the pandemic on children and adolescents.

Thanks to the joint efforts of scientists, the situation of COVID-19 has been improving significantly. The percentage of the infected population has been gradually decreasing, and vaccines now exist to control the spread. However, the eventual impact on the younger generation can be irreversible. To start with, the financial situation of different families may have suffered tremendously due to the lack of opportunities during COVID. People with careers related to transportation, repairing, and more have lost their jobs because of this pandemic since their jobs are not available to be completed online. As employees are unable to profit or quickly adjust to this unexpected situation through changing their jobs, economic stability around the globe has been reduced. Nonetheless, this not only produced a damaging result on the workers themselves, but their children also had to live in difficult conditions at home because of the meager environment in their family. Data from the IMF optimistic scenario indicates an increase in extreme poverty this year of 84 to 132 million people, approximately half of whom are children, compared to a pre-pandemic counterfactual scenario.

Students suffered from a loss of academic opportunities in the past year and a half. According to research, 13% of students delayed graduation or lost an offer due to COVID. All had to study and work online during quarantine, which may have reduced students’ motivation in learning and limited the possible activities they could participate in. Fortunately, despite the various limitations, faculty and students at Rectory have been remaining positive about the situation related to this pandemic. There is a special section on the Rectory page that records the data related to COVID: Prior to the authorization of the vaccine for 5-11-year-olds, 98% of Rectory’s employees are vaccinated, 75% of our eligible day student population are vaccinated, and 80% of our age-eligible boarding student population are vaccinated. This boarding student percentage continues to increase as the school takes students to a semi-monthly vaccination clinic.

A Pandemic Year in 10 Quotes – Blog – ISGLOBAL. https://www.isglobal.org/en/healthisglobal/-/custom-blog-portlet/a-pandemic-year-in-10-quotes/3098670/0
The Impact of Covid-19 on Student Experiences and EXPECTATIONS: Evidence from a Survey. Journal of Public Economics, North-Holland, 27 Aug. 2020.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0047272720301353

https://unsdg.un.org/sites/default/files/2020-04/160420_Covid_Children_Policy_Brief.pdf