Class of 2015: A “Triple-Crown” Graduation

Back to Article
Back to Article

The graduates of the Rectory Class of 2015 wearing the sweatshirts of their chosen secondary schools.

On the morning of Saturday, June 6th, a partly sunny, but quite windy day in Pomfret, CT, the members of the Rectory Class of 2015 attended their graduation ceremony. Later that same day, at the Belmont Stakes in New York, American Pharoah became the first thoroughbred since 1978 (the year after I graduated from high school, which you know was a “long, long” time ago) to win horse racing’s coveted Triple Crown. Thus, not only will this date go down in history, but it will forever be etched in the minds of the 56 students who received their Rectory diplomas on that memorable day in June, 2015.

Just as American Pharoah was blessed with the gifts of speed and endurance, the Class of 2015 included students with a myriad of talents, interests, and abilities, which Rectory School nurtured and enriched to prepare these graduates for their lives at secondary school and beyond. And just as American Pharoah’s trainer and jockey know all too well, it’s not always the fastest horse that wins the race, but the horse that also runs smart, listens well to its jockey’s signals, and takes advantage of any opportunity that will advance its position. During their tenure at Rectory, these graduates learned lessons not only in the classroom, but also on the playing fields, in the dining hall, in their dorms, and while attending social events. They have experienced first-hand the wonderful opportunities that a Rectory education offers and have grown and developed in accordance with our school’s four tenets of character: honesty, respect, responsibility, and compassion.

We will miss each of the graduates’ unique personalities on campus next year, and each of them will miss the many friends, teachers, coaches, advisors, and dorm parents who became their Rectory family. As you view the photos of the graduates in the following picture gallery, you can see the warmth in their eyes and feel the genuine friendship and joy in their smiles.

Though graduation day is often bittersweet, as it means moving on from the life we’ve become accustomed to, we want the members of the Class of 2015 to know that Rectory will always welcome them home with open arms! Farewell and good luck to all the graduates; may each of you hold the memories of your time at Rectory close to your heart as you continue your education at your chosen secondary schools. May you continue to thrive and “stay in the race,” and may you “cross the finish line” while upholding the values and character traits you have learned at Rectory.

Following is a list of the Rectory Class of 2015 graduates, along with the secondary schools they will be attending next year. We have also included mention of the awards bestowed on some graduates either at the graduation ceremony on June 6th, or at the award ceremony held on Friday, June 5th, in the Tang Auditorium.

Cole B.Brewster Academy, Wolfeboro, New Hampshire

Christopher B.The Knox School, St. James, New York

Abigail C., Pomfret School, Pomfret, Connecticut (*Section 9-1a Award; *Effort and Academic Honors)

Luwei (Lucy) C.Kimball Union Academy, Meriden, New Hampshire (*President’s Award)

Jiayi (Ena) C.Millbrook School, Millbrook, New York (*Art Award)

Julia C., Kent School, Kent, Connecticut (*Ten Year Award; *The Adam B. Silver Award for demonstrating spirit, energy, inquisitiveness, and vigor in the classroom and on the athletic fields)

Celton C.Quinebaug Middle College, Danielson, Connecticut (*President’s Award)

Peyton D.Pomfret School, Pomfret, Connecticut

Nicolas F. R.Technologico de Monterrey, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

Steven F.Lyndon InstituteLyndon Center, Vermont

Patrick F., St. Johnsbury Academy, St. Johnsbury, Vermont (*The Father Bigelow Memorial Award for best exemplifying “those human characteristics Father Bigelow sought to cultivate in all students,” such as honesty, humility, good sportsmanship, courage, and kindness.)

William G.Woodstock Academy, Woodstock, Connecticut (*Ten Year Award)

Anthony G.Saint James School, St. James, Maryland

Maya G.Hotchkiss School, Lakeville, Connecticut (*Five Year Award; *Performing Arts Chorus Award; *Effort and Academic Honors; *Leroy Anderson Foreign Language Award for Spanish; *Best All-Around Female Athlete; *The Charles Rockwell Cup, awarded to “that person in the graduating class who has done the most for Rectory.”)

Maxwell G. W.West Nottingham Academy, Colora, Maryland

Alfredo G. P., Undecided

Sung Eun (Mary) H.Dana Hall School, Wellesley, Massachusetts

Youngcheon (Steven) H.Kimball Union Academy, Meriden, New Hampshire

Thayne H.Woodstock Academy, Woodstock, Connecticut (*Effort and Academic Honors; *Leroy Anderson Foreign Language Award for Latin; *The Alexander C. Vasiloff Memorial Award for interest in history, science and mathematics, arts and literature; *Five Year Award)

YuanFeng (Tony) J.St. Andrew’s School, Barrington, Rhode Island (*The Ricci Student Ambassador Prize; *The John and Millie Green Cup for bringing an uplifting spirit and sense of joy to the school community)

Harim K.Kent School, Kent, Connecticut (*Performing Arts Guitar Award; *President’s Award; *Townshend Award for Science)

Kwang Yeon (Peter) K.Suffield Academy, Suffield, Connecticut

Cheon L.St. Andrew’s School, Middletown, Delaware (*Five Year Award)

Jae Won L.Westtown SchoolWest Chester, Pennsylvania

Katherine L.Windham High School, Windham, New Hampshire

Yang (Young) L., Hoosac School, Hoosick, New York

Olivia L.Proctor Academy, Andover, New Hampshire (*Media Communications Award)

Jessica N.Kent School, Kent, Connecticut (*Photography Award; *Performing Arts Drama Award)

Collins O.Hotchkiss School, Lakeville, Connecticut

Taeyoung (Sophia) P.Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, New Hampshire (*Academic Honors, Effort Honors and President’s Award; *Ninth Grade English Award; *Jackman Math Award; *The Mabel B. Bigelow Memorial Cup for outstanding excellence in character and showing a great interest in the welfare of the school; *The Goodridge-Barber Academic Cup for being the top student in the graduating class)

Stephanie P.Hill School,Pottstown, Pennsylvania

Emma R.Peddie School, Hightstown, New Jersey

Joseph R.Gunnery School, Washington, Connecticut

Rebecca R.Kents Hill School, Kents Hill, Maine

Nikkei R.Trinity-Pawling School, Pawling, New York

Jonathan (Jake) S.Forman School, Litchfield, Connecticut (*Roure History Award)

Madeline (Mae) S.Forman School, Litchfield, Connecticut (*Mr. & Mrs. John Character Cup for making great progress in all areas of school life and for displaying kindness, compassion, and spirit)

Peter (Tucker) S.Pomfret School, Pomfret, Connecticut (*Best All-Around Male Athlete)

Charles S.Pomfret School, Pomfret, Connecticut (*Section 9-2a Award; *Academic Honors and President’s Award)

Michael S.Pomfret School, Pomfret, Connecticut (*Section 9-2b Award)

Nicholas S.Woodstock Academy, Woodstock, Connecticut (*Newspaper Award; *Section 9-1b Award; *The John Frazar Austin Cup for best exemplifying the “fighting spirit,” which will not permit him to quit, whether in sports, studies, or in striving for general improvement)

Diego S. G.Cumbres Vista Hermosa, Mexico City, Mexico

Jiayi S.Wyoming Seminary, Kingston, Pennsylvania

Gerardo S. N.Universidad de Celaya, Celaya, Guanajuato, Mexico

Boxuan (Mark) S.Loomis Chaffee School, Windsor, Connecticut

Rintaro T.Putney School, Putney, Vermont

Ziyin (Isaac) T.Saint Andrew’s-Sewanee School, St. Andrews, Tennessee

Bryce T., Rothesay Netherwood School, New Brunswick, Canada

Sofia V. O.Instituto Cumbres De Cancun, Cancun, Mexico

Hanyi (Sherry) W.Tabor Academy, Marion, Massachusetts (*Academic Honors, Effort Honors and President’s Award; *John Bloodworth Mobley, Jr., Cup awarded to the proctor who best represents the characteristics of tolerance toward, support of, and enthusiasm for her peers)

Yutong (Vicky) W.San Domenico School, San Anselmo, California (*Academic Honors)

Travell W.Lawrence Academy, Groton, Massachusetts

Joseph (JT) W.New Hampton SchoolNew Hampton, New Hampshire (*Audio Visual Award; *The Thomas B. Harrison Cup for outstanding sportsmanship and consideration for others)

Yudai Y.Tabor Academy, Marion, Massachusetts (*Effort and Academic Honors)

Isabella Z.Woodstock Academy, Woodstock, Connecticut

Qingquan (Tony) Z.St. Andrew’s School, Barrington, Rhode Island (*Section 9-3 Award)