• Fall Family Weekend 2018 is here! Friday, Oct. 12th thru Sunday, Oct. 14th: Welcome, Parents, Grandparents, & Siblings!

Filed under Movie Reviews

Movie Review: The Help

“The Help” is mainly focused on the civil rights movement. It is about the life of African-American maids living in Mississippi during the 1960’s, and how they are treated. The movie is based on the novel of the same name by Kathryn Stockett. “The Help” premiered in the U.S. on August 9th, 2011. It gives us a good look at how Southern white families acted towards the maids, and what their everyday lives were like. It teaches us that even through so much hatred, there is usually an optimistic solution that will teach us how to love one another equally, but only few will realize that. Through an unlikely partnership between a young Southern white woman aspiring to be a journalist and the courageous African-American maids of Jackson, Mississippi, the collaboration sheds light on the injustices, hardships, and personal triumphs of being “the help.”

I would highly recommend this movie to a wide variety of viewers. It is a hard-hitting, emotionally inspiring film. If you are searching for some lightness in a dark part of U.S. history, this is the film for you. However, despite being a triumphant and feel-good film, it also has its emotional moments that will surely make you grab a box of tissues!

Rated: PG 13

This is what critics said about the movie:

“An aspiring author during the civil rights movement of the 1960s decides to write a book detailing the African-American maids’ point of view on the white families for which they work, and the hardships they go through on a daily basis.” (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1454029/)

“A deeply touching human story filled with humor and heartbreak is rare in any movie season, especially summer. That’s what makes “The Help” an exhilarating gift. It could have been a disaster. Kathryn Stockett’s debut novel riled a few critics. The gall of Stockett, a white woman from Jackson, Mississippi, to think she could get inside the heads of black maids serving white folks during the early 1960s.” (http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/the-help-20110809)

About the Writer
Isabella Z., Staff Writer

Isabella Z., or Isa, as her friends call her, is an 8th grade student at Rectory, and this is her second year at the school. Isa’s family is from Venezuela, and they all speak fluent Spanish. In fact, Isa’s father teaches Spanish at the Rectory School, and since he is also a dorm parent, Isa’s family actually lives on the Rectory School campus.

1 Comment

One Response to “Movie Review: The Help”

1. Luis on February 12th, 2014 11:14 am

Very well written review, Isabella. I’m so proud of your great work.

*

• Movie Review: The Help

Minions: Movie Summary and Review

• Movie Review: The Help

Top 24 Holiday Movies

• Movie Review: The Help

Top 13 Halloween Movies to Watch

• Movie Review: The Help

Movie Reviews

Selma 50 Years Later: Why We Must Not Forget!

• Movie Review: The Help

Interstellar

• Movie Review: The Help

Movie Review: The Fault In Our Stars

• Movie Review: The Help

New Teacher Profiles

Mr. Li, A New Teacher in Rectory’s Elementary School

• Movie Review: The Help

New Teacher Profiles

Mr. Li – New Elementary Teacher

• Movie Review: The Help

Student Life

Ms. Minifie’s Art Elective

• Movie Review: The Help

Sports

Rectory’s Wrestling Team

Movie Review: The Help