• Ninth-grade graduation is Saturday, June 8th! Congratulations to all the graduates!

• Last day of school is Thursday, June 6th, 2019! Enjoy your summer vacation!

• Spring term exams are coming soon (week of June 3rd)! Start studying now! Good luck!

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Former Rectory Student and Newspaper Member Wins Prestigious Journalism Award!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Introduction by Mrs. Shattuck: The article below is about former Rectory student, Alexander Greene ’17, who was an active member of Rectory’s student newspaper. Alexander began writing for The DiRectory in his fifth-grade year at Rectory, and he never looked back. He loved writing articles and producing videos, and his enthusiasm for participating in the newspaper elective never waned. He was a prolific reporter for The DiRectory, and, as such, the much-deserved winner of Rectory’s ninth-grade Newspaper Award upon his graduation. Alexander has continued his journalism career at his secondary school, The Darlington School, located in Rome, Georgia, where he is now a junior and a managing editor of its student newspaper, The Darlingtonian. I am proud to announce that Alexander recently won a state-wide award for his journalism achievements, which you can read about in the following article. I am sure the entire Rectory community will join me in congratulating Alexander for this prestigious award!!

If you’d like to read samples of Alexander’s newspaper articles, you can view the following links:

The DiRectory:  http://studentnewspaper.rectoryschool.org/staff/?writer=Alexander%20G.

The Darlingtonian:  https://darlingtonian.com/about/about-2/staff/?writer=Alexander+Greene

April 24, 2019

Greene selected to represent Georgia at elite journalism conference

Alexander Greene (‘20) has been selected to represent the state of Georgia at the 2019 Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference, June 14 – 20, 2019. The annual conference program targets rising high school seniors who are interested in pursuing a career in journalism and who demonstrate qualities of “free spirit.”

Deeply involved in student publications, Greene serves as the managing editor of the Darlingtonian, business manager for the Jabberwokk yearbook, and editor-in-chief of the Inkslinger literary magazine. He has also served as a marketing intern for the Darlington Communication Office and participated in Align Design, a workshop series geared towards area high school students interested in graphic design (sponsored by the Rome Area Council for the Arts, V3 Magazine, and Darlington).

“Alexander is gifted at setting his own path towards success and we are all so proud that he will be attending this elite conference,” said Jennifer Collins, content manager. “He is always laser-focused on his goals but is also a strong writer and has a natural gift for photography and graphic design. I believe that being around like-minded peers at this conference may be just what he needs to continue down his own path towards a career in journalism and marketing.”

Greene will join 50 rising high school seniors from each state of the country to experience an extraordinary five-day all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C. where they will attend sessions with media professionals, news executives and prominent free spirits. He will also have the opportunity to visit some of the most important sites in Washington, D.C. and will receive a $1,000 college scholarship paid to the college of his choice.

The Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference was created to honor Al Neuharth, founder of USA TODAY, the Freedom Forum and the Newseum, for his long and distinguished career in journalism and his free spirit. The conference will take place at the Newseum, which is dedicated to free expression and the five freedoms of the First Amendment.

(Editor’s Note: Permission to post this article granted by The Darlington School.)

1 Comment

One Response to “Former Rectory Student and Newspaper Member Wins Prestigious Journalism Award!”

1. Frederick W Williams on May 6th, 2019 9:57 pm

Yay! What great news for Alexander – and Rectory.

*

• Former Rectory Student and Newspaper Member Wins Prestigious Journalism Award!

Rectory’s Spring Musical, “Once on This Island, Jr.”

Student Life

New MELPs at Rectory in 2019

Captain Marvel Movie Review

Opinion

Are IO Games Taking Over at Rectory?

Sports

Pine Tar and Its Use in MLB

Sled-Dog Race, Anyone?

Notre-Dame Cathedral de Paris Damaged By Raging Fire

Opinion

The PlayStation Plus Scam

China’s Popular Food

Teacher Feature - Student Work

The Girl Who Learned to Laugh