• Ninth-grade graduation is Saturday, June 8th! Congratulations to all the graduates!

• Last day of school is Thursday, June 6th, 2019! Enjoy your summer vacation!

• Spring term exams are coming soon (week of June 3rd)! Start studying now! Good luck!

Filed under News, Showcase

Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?

The aye-aye is considered an omen of bad luck, so they are often hunted and are now an endangered species.

commons.wikimedia.org

Imagine an animal with the ability to hear bugs crawling under tree bark, and to use its long fingers and sharp teeth to dig them out. I’m not describing a fictional creature…I’m describing my favorite animal, an aye-aye! In this article, I will tell you what it is, where it lives, what it eats, and why it’s so endangered.

An aye-aye is a lemur. Like all lemurs, they live in Madagascar, an island that is part of the continent of Africa. Madagascar is the fourth biggest island in the world, full of interesting and unique animals and bugs like Madagascar hissing cockroaches, giraffe weevils, indris, fossas, chameleons, and, of course, aye-ayes.

Aye-ayes are not very large mammals. Not including their tail, they can grow from 14 to 17 inches long. Including the tail, they can grow from 22 to 24 inches long. Their average weight is 4 pounds. The aye-aye’s scientific name is Daubentonia Madagascariensis, and they are omnivores, which means they eat meat and vegetation.

Aye-ayes eat insects, nuts, and fruits. They use their extremely long middle fingers to tap on trees, and then they use their huge ears to listen for bugs scuttling under the bark. The aye-aye then picks the insect out of the bark with that same finger. When they’re eating a fruit or coconut, they dig into it with their fingers and scoop out the inside flesh.

Unfortunately, aye-ayes are considered an omen of bad luck by some people. Because of this, they are sometimes hunted or even killed on sight. Due to these terrible acts, the aye-aye population has been decreasing. Currently, about 100 live in the wild. Now the law protects them to prevent their extinction.

Here are some other interesting facts about the aye-aye: they are thought to be the only primates who use echolocation to find their prey; their average lifespan in the wild is 20 years; and their bushy tails are bigger than their bodies! They have huge eyes, giant ears, and long, slim fingers that they use to pick bugs out of trees and to scoop the flesh out of fruits. Looking at the attached photo, I think you’ll agree that they are cute, too!

Now you know that aye-ayes are innocent animals that are extremely endangered merely because of superstitious beliefs. Just like any other animal, aye-ayes deserve to live peacefully in life. Thank you for reading this article and learning about aye-ayes!

About the Writer
Lilah J.-D., Reporter

My name is Lilah J-D. I am 10 years old and in the 5th grade at Rectory. My favorite subject is science, especially Astronomy, and my favorite animal is...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?”

1. peter plourde on April 18th, 2019 2:17 pm

I like how you told them that an aye-aye is just like any other animal and it should be treated that way.

2. Isabel D'Alleva-Bochain on April 18th, 2019 2:18 pm

I like this article and find it very interesting. But I do have some questions. The first one is why do people think they are a bad omen. The second one is about how many aye-ayes are in the wild and/or in captivity.

*

• Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?

Rectory’s Spring Musical, “Once on This Island, Jr.”

• Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?

Sled-Dog Race, Anyone?

• Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?

Notre-Dame Cathedral de Paris Damaged By Raging Fire

• Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?

You Should Have a Havanese!

• Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?

The Starship Robot, Technology From the Future on College Campuses Now

• Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?

How Plastics Affect the Environment

• Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?

Video Games are Affecting Children in More Ways Than One!

• Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?

President Bush’s (41) Service Dog, Sully

• Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?

Celebrating Rectory’s Centennial!

• Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?

Rectory Student Helps Save the Black Rhino

Do You Know What an Aye-Aye Is?