• Ninth-grade graduation is Saturday, June 8th! Congratulations to all the graduates!

• Last day of school is Thursday, June 6th, 2019! Enjoy your summer vacation!

• Spring term exams are coming soon (week of June 3rd)! Start studying now! Good luck!

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Rectory’s New Swim Coach

Ms. Siobhan O'Neil, Rectory's new swim coach

The weather in Connecticut has been getting colder and colder, and Rectory’s winter sports are well underway. This year (the 2018-19 school year), Rectory School has a new swim coach, Ms. Siobhan O’Neil, who is an experienced swimmer. Now she is also an eighth-grade English teacher and a dorm parent in Upper Memorial Dorm.

Ms. O’Neil has been swimming for 12 years. She first started swimming on a YMCA team when she was in the seventh grade in her home town of Burlington, Connecticut. Back then, she was swimming in the slowest lane on the team. In case you don’t know, most swim teams are divided into several lanes, depending on the speed of the individual swimmers on the team.

When Ms. O’Neil was in high school, she swam for the YMCA team during the fall terms as a pre-season preparation, and then she swam for her high school team during the winter terms. She also swam when she was studying abroad in London. Clearly, Ms. O’Neil has extensive swimming experience. These past twelve years of swimming have been an important part of her life, and now she is happy to bring her wealth of knowledge to the students at Rectory School.

As a new teacher and coach, Ms. O’Neil feels that Rectory is a very supportive community. For example, during relay races the students on the swim team all cheer for each other. Also, the Rectory staff members in each academic department have given Ms. O’Neil a lot of support this year.

This year’s swim team has about twenty members. To make the team, swimmers tried out and had to be able to swim fifty yards without stopping. As a result of Ms. O’Neil’s long swimming career, she believes that setting a personal goal is important for each swimmer. Now she is willing and able to help students at Rectory achieve their swimming goals. We are very lucky to have Ms. O’Neil as a new teacher and swim coach at our school, and we welcome her and wish her all the best!

About the Writer
Julia Z., Reporter

Hello, my name is Julia, and this is my third year at Rectory. I had been in Newspaper before and I decided to come back because it is a really fun group...

1 Comment

One Response to “Rectory’s New Swim Coach”

1. Frederick W Williams on January 27th, 2019 7:18 pm

Julia, thanks for writing this article. I love watching the swim matches because, as you said, the athletes all cheer for each other. We are fortunate to have Ms. O’Neil continuing our great swim tradition.

*

• Rectory’s New Swim Coach

Rectory’s Spring Musical, “Once on This Island, Jr.”

• Rectory’s New Swim Coach

Student Life

New MELPs at Rectory in 2019

• Rectory’s New Swim Coach

Captain Marvel Movie Review

• Rectory’s New Swim Coach

Opinion

Are IO Games Taking Over at Rectory?

• Rectory’s New Swim Coach

Sports

Pine Tar and Its Use in MLB

• Rectory’s New Swim Coach

Sled-Dog Race, Anyone?

• Rectory’s New Swim Coach

Notre-Dame Cathedral de Paris Damaged By Raging Fire

• Rectory’s New Swim Coach

Opinion

The PlayStation Plus Scam

• Rectory’s New Swim Coach

Student Life

Former Rectory Student and Newspaper Member Wins Prestigious Journalism Award!

• Rectory’s New Swim Coach

China’s Popular Food

Rectory’s New Swim Coach