Rectory Student Helps Save the Black Rhino

Back to Article
Back to Article

This past summer when many of Rectory’s students were traveling to other places, studying academics and playing sports, Albert D. was researching how to save endangered animals in Kenya, Africa. Albert worked with experts at the Ol Pejeta Conservancy. He learned about black rhinos: their classifications; habits; diet; and the differences between black and white rhinos.

The DiRectory asked Albert about his research program. He shared, “The trip was amazing! The environment was very harsh, not like the states. Taking showers was hard to come by. Water is not clean there and hot water isn’t always available.” Albert was the only one his age in the program, but he was able to do a lot of research on the rhinos’ food, daily life, and habitat.

The readers of The DiRectory might be asking why we are writing about black and white rhinos. We think that Albert was doing a very brave and outstanding act of kindness by helping black and white rhinos. It’s not every day that a student goes out of their way to help someone else, and Albert came to the aid of a species that is slowly going extinct. The main reason this is happening all over the world is because poachers kill rhinos for their horns. We want to give credit to Albert for what he did over the summer, and Albert thinks there is a way that Rectory can help. “Spread the word to other people and other students in the school; tell them about the problem the black rhinos are facing.”

You can see photos from Albert’s trip in the photo gallery below.