• Author Reyna Grande to speak to Rectory students on MLK Day, January 22, 2018!

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Summer Adventures

deviantart.com

Everyone loves summer; they have a lot of great memories. The DiRectory interviewed some students and teachers at Rectory to find out what they did last summer. They all loved their last summer vacation, so we wanted to share their adventures with you.  Here’s how people at Rectory spent this past summer.

Mr. Woodard (Spanish teacher): I traveled around New England and went to New York a couple times. I went to a cabin in Maine and visited a big lake with my family. I also stayed around Rectory for a little while. My favorite activity this summer was staying with my family, playing with my daughters. The most delicious food I ate was meat and mashed potatoes. In the summer, I ran a lot and went to the gym to get in shape.  

Mrs. Levesque (English teacher/tutor): I went down to the state of North Carolina. My husband and I drove down there because my son lives there. Getting to visit with my grandson and my son was the most fun thing about this summer. The most delicious food I ate this summer was shrimp. I like to read, and I like to tend to my garden and plant herbs and vegetables, which I did this summer. It was a great summer for me!

Mr. Kelleway (teacher/tutor/dorm parent): I went to New Hampshire with my entire family for two weeks; every summer we go to Lake Sunapee. I also went to Ireland with my family for one week, just before the new school year started. My favorite part was that I didn’t need to wake up early for the whole summer. I enjoy having more time to play with my dog. I like that in the summer I can be more relaxed. My family and I ate a lot of seafood this summer, but I also enjoyed pizza and ice cream. I usually ran in the mornings and walked my dog in Rectory’s fields. It was definitely a good summer!

Daniel Y. (a 6th-grade student): Last summer, I went to Rectory summer school with Owen Z. It was one of the best summers I’ve had! Summer seemed so short for me. I played a lot of sports with my friends in China. I ate a lot of junk food, and became a lot fatter. Because of that I had to buy some new clothes with my mom, and I need to do a lot of exercise. It was a fun summer!

Mr. Williams came to our Newspaper Elective to help edit articles. Here he is telling Daniel and Owen about his summer trip to Iceland.

Owen Z. (a 6th-grade student): Last summer was awesome because I went to Rectory summer camp! Mrs. Pinckney and Mr. Pinckney were my dorm parents; they are very nice. I also had a very nice tutor for summer school; her name is Mrs. Abbott. She was a tutor at Rectory for many years, but now she is retired. I enjoyed many good times during summer school with my friends. I love pizza, and I really like the breakfast pizza at Rectory School. I really liked playing soccer and basketball, too.

Bob D. (an 8th-grade student): My vacation was fantastic; it was the best summer I’ve ever had! I went to Summer@Rectory; my favorite part was playing with Owen every day. The most delicious food I ate was chicken. I played Capture the Chicken in the summer, and I went to a 5K race.. I stayed at Rectory for the whole summer.

ELi F. (a 9th-grade student): I went to different summer camps during vacation; I went to two soccer camps and a basketball camp.  I had a good time at each of these camps. I also went to the beach and had a lot of fun. It wasn’t really the best summer I’ve had because I didn’t do as much as I usually do. The most delicious food I ate was the pancakes in the morning. I stayed with my parents a lot this summer, which is always a lot of fun.

Headmaster, Mr. Williams, and his wife (far right) on their trip to Iceland this summer!

Mr. Williams (Rectory’s headmaster): I had a special trip this summer; my wife and I traveled to Iceland for a whole week. That was the best summer I’ve had in a long time. Iceland is a beautiful country and the people are very nice. The Iceland trip was definitely my favorite part of this summer vacation. We did a lot of activities in the Iceland mountains, such as hiking and riding horses. The most delicious food we ate this summer was lamb. The lamb was actually cooked under the ground. I did lots of hiking, running, and playing golf this summer, so I really enjoyed my vacation!

Mr. Long took this photo of the beach in Aruba where he stayed this past summer.

Mr. Long (Rectory Physics teacher): This summer I went to the beautiful island of Aruba and I went down south. It was one of the best summers I’ve ever had. My favorite thing was sitting on the beach in Aruba. This was my first time doing that. The most delicious food I ate was the whole fish in Aruba. I did a lot of running this summer, too. It was great!

A photo of the sun setting over the ocean in Aruba taken by Mr. Long.

What did you do this summer? Was it the best summer you’ve ever had? If so, please let us know what made it so special. We’d like to write about more Rectory summer adventures, so if you are a Rectory student, teacher, or administrator, please write in the comments section below and tell us what you did this past summer. We just might write an article about your summer adventures!

About the Writers
Daniel Y., Staff Reporter

I am Daniel Y., and I’m a sixth-grade student at Rectory School. This is my first year at Rectory and my first year on the newspaper staff. I like to...

Owen Z., Staff Reporter

My name is Owen. I’m 12 years old, and I come from China. I’m studying in grade six at Rectory School now. I have a lot of hobbies, such as playing...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Summer Adventures”

1. Claudia Abbott on November 15th, 2018 6:03 am

How enjoyable it was to read about everyone’s summer activities!
    Owen, you were a special part of my summer. Your enthusiasm to be successful was always evident, and now you are a staff reporter. I look forward to reading many more of your newspaper contributions in the future. Great job!

2. Frederick W Williams on November 15th, 2018 5:32 pm

Owen and Daniel, Reading your article brought back memories of the Iceland adventure. It was nice to see all of the other outings faculty and students engaged in. Next summer Montana fly fishing!S

*

• Summer Adventures

President Bush’s (41) Service Dog, Sully

• Summer Adventures

Sports

Ms. DiIorio, Marathon Runner: Catch Her Positive Spirit – – If You Can!

• Summer Adventures

Student Life

Engaging Electives at Rectory This Fall – Part III

• Summer Adventures

Student Life

Engaging Electives at Rectory This Fall (2018) – Part II

• Summer Adventures

Student Life

Engaging Electives at Rectory This Fall (2018) – Part I

• Summer Adventures

Celebrating Rectory’s Centennial!

• Summer Adventures

Teacher Feature

Random Enlightenment

• Summer Adventures

Rectory Student Helps Save the Black Rhino

• Summer Adventures

Opinion

Should WNBA Players Get Paid More?

• Summer Adventures

Student Life

Restarting the One-Sentence Story at Rectory

Summer Adventures