Mr. Li, A New Teacher in Rectory’s Elementary School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Li with some of his elementary students.

Mr. Li was born on June 11, 1984, in Fuzhou, China. He lived in China for about 11 years before he moved to West Warwick, Rhode Island, in 1997, when he was in the 6th grade. As a child, Mr. Li loved spending time with his older brothers, Jim and David. He did not play any sports as a child, but he was always spending time outdoors, being active, and traveling. He went to West Warwick High School and later attended and graduated from Bryant University in Smithfield, Rhode Island, which was a business school at the time.

However, business wasn’t Mr. Li’s main passion. Even as a child Mr. Li loved teaching, and he had been inspired by his kindergarten teacher in China and his 6th- grade ESL teacher in Rhode Island. After college, he found a job as a social worker at a hospital helping teenagers who were struggling with their behavior. This only furthered his passion for working with and teaching kids.

Years later Mr. Li learned about Rectory School through his brother who had a son (Kevin ‘17) and a daughter (Daphne ‘19) who were students at Rectory. He quickly fell in love with the idea of working at Rectory because of the loving community and the creed that Rectory School stood by. Last year he worked as a tutor in Rectory’s middle school. Currently, Mr. Li works with the elementary students on the first floor, in the K-1 and 2-3 classrooms, and he says he couldn’t see himself doing anything else. He loves it! He especially loves teaching the younger children because he enjoys seeing students learn and grow. The main message Mr. Li tries to spread to kids here and everywhere is to follow your heart and follow your dreams, just as he did. That is how you will find true happiness!