The student news site of The Rectory School

• Rectory's last day of school is Thursday, June 8th, 2017! Have a safe and happy summer!!

Filed under News, Showcase

Former President Obama Announced Mars Exploration Mission

The Mars Desert Research Station (MDRS) is the second of four planned simulated Mars surface exploration habitats owned and operated by the Mars Society. (Credit: NASA)

Will humans finally go to Mars? Going to Mars is what humans have been dreaming of for a very long time, and it’s a goal that still seems so far for us to achieve. Mars was first recorded centuries ago by ancient Egyptian astronomers. Ever since then, humans have been trying to learn more about this strange red planet.

In 2016, the former U.S. president, Barack Obama, announced some controversial news: we will bring humans to Mars by the year 2030, or within that decade. This was one of the biggest decisions that Obama made during the last year of his presidency. For humans, Mars has always been a huge question mark; we still have so much more to explore on this planet. Then, suddenly President Obama decides to send humans to Mars? Really? Actually, NASA and some private companies such as SpaceX (American) and Mars One (Netherlands) have already sent many unmanned explorations to Mars, and they have plans for many future explorations. (*See more info. about SpaceX and Mars One at the end of this article.) NASA and SpaceX are the driving forces behind the development of these Mars Missions. But why go to Mars? Why are people so curious and so fascinated by this planet?

NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration. NASA is a United States government agency that is responsible for science and technology related to air and space. The Space Age began in 1957 with the launch of the Soviet satellite, Sputnik; NASA was created in 1958. Today NASA is collecting a lot more data from samples that were taken from or near Mars which will help scientists determine if humans can survive on Mars. NASA has already launched several missions that have paved the way for future manned Mars missions.

SpaceX is a private company owned by Elon Musk. Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy are SpaceX’s most advanced rocket ships. They are the biggest in size and can hold the most cargo and fly the longest distance. So right now, NASA is working with SpaceX to achieve the goal to send humans to Mars. SpaceX will provide the transportation (rocket ship), and NASA will pay money to SpaceX for their services, such as cargo transportation, satellite transportation, and even human transportation in the future.

President Trump recently stepped into the White House; what’s his opinion about the Mars mission? Will he support it? The answer right now is mostly positive.  Elon Musk and President Trump have had a few meetings together and have discussed their interest in the Mars Mission. Elon Musk has joined Trump’s strategies and policy forum meetings, signaling Trump’s interest in Musk’s business expertise and his access to Trump.

Right now, the goal to Mars in 2024 stills looks so distant, but to quote what President Trump said, “ We choose to go to the Moon-Mars, not because it is easy, but because it is hard and would be a huge deal for my presidency.” I believe that the government, as well as SpaceX, are working super diligently in order to achieve the goal. Let’s just sit back and wait for the day that the impossible becomes possible.

Facts about Mars:

1. Mars is about half the size of the Earth.
  2. The mass of Mars is only 1/10 of Earth’s mass.
  3. Using our current technology, it takes about two years for a team of astronauts to get to Mars and back.
  4. The average temperature on Mars is -55 degrees Celsius.
  5. Mars is home to the tallest mountain in our solar system, which is 26 kilometers high; that’s about 25 times higher than Mount Everest.
  6. The highest wind speed ever recorded on Mars was 144 km/h, which created some of the largest dust storms in our solar system’s history.
  7. By the end of 2014, there had been 40 attempted missions to Mars, and only 18 of those missions had been successful.
  8. Mars and Earth have approximately the same land mass.
  9. Water has been found on Mars in the form of vapor ice and snow.
  10. One year on Earth is 365 days; one year on Mars is equivalent to 687 Earth days.
  11. From Mars the sun will appear to be half as big as it looks from the Earth.

*The Mars One organization has proposed to land the first humans on Mars and establish a permanent human colony there by 2025. Mars One consists of two entities: the not-for-profit Mars One Foundation, and the for-profit company Mars One Ventures. (Wikipedia)

*Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, better known as SpaceX, is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company headquartered in Hawthorne, California, United States. (Wikipedia)