• Spring Family Weekend 2019 is coming soon! Save the dates: Friday, April 26th - Sunday, April 28th!

• Welcome back! Hope you enjoyed the break and your 2019 MELP! Happy Spring!

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Rectory 9th Grader Wins 2017 Connecticut High School Film Contest About Kindness

Rectory%27s+9th-grade+student%2C+Jeffrey+W.%2C+won+the+High+School+Division+of+the+2017+Annual+Connecticut+Film+Contest+for+Kindness.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Rectory's 9th-grade student, Jeffrey W., won the High School Division of the 2017 Annual Connecticut Film Contest for Kindness.

Photo taken by Rectory's Mrs. Seaward.

Photo taken by Rectory's Mrs. Seaward.

Photo taken by Rectory's Mrs. Seaward.

Earlier this school year, Jeffrey W. (‘17) represented The Rectory School at the Annual Connecticut Student Film Contest held by Envision Kindness, a Connecticut non-profit organization. Jeffrey’s video won first place in the High School Division among all the 9th – 12th grade competitors in Connecticut!

In the fall of 2016, a Connecticut non-profit organization, Envision Kindness, again opened their Annual Student Film Contest to all middle school, high school, and college students in Connecticut. According to Envision Kindness (Envisionkindness.org) the main purpose of this challenge is to “engage young people and their communities in the recognition and promotion of kindness in our home state of Connecticut.” Participants had to work in small groups to create short, original videos that depict the value of kindness.

In the fall term, three groups of students from Rectory’s Media Communications Elective, taught by Rectory teacher Mr. Ryan Finnegan, competed in the contest as representatives of Rectory. Jeffrey was one of the participants, and his video made it into the final round with over 700 views online. His film and 39 others were opened up to the public to select the contest’s finalists. Later in the winter term, Jeffrey received a letter from Envision Kindness congratulating him as the contest winner whose video won first place in the High School Division. For the winning prize, $500 was awarded to the Rectory Media Communications Group.

“I am very proud of Jeffrey’s success,” boasted Mr. Finnegan. “He was totally motivated throughout the entire creation of his video, and it was designed with total professionalism. Jeffrey could potentially have a bright future in video production or graphic design.”

Congratulations, Jeffrey!! All of us at Rectory are very proud of your achievement!

About the Writer
Yitong W., Student Editor

Hello! I am Yitong! I am a 9th-grade boarder at Rectory. This is my fourth term working on the school’s Newspaper. I am not only a staff writer who expresses...