• Fall Family Weekend 2018 is here! Friday, Oct. 12th thru Sunday, Oct. 14th: Welcome, Parents, Grandparents, & Siblings!

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Community Thanksgiving Dinner: A New Rectory Tradition

On November 20, 2016, The Rectory School boarding community gathered together in the Rectory Dining Hall for its second annual Thanksgiving Dinner. Thanksgiving is a very special time of the year for many of us. That is why Mr. Zerpa and Mr. Long thought this would be the perfect venue for the students and the Pomfret community to come together in a meaningful way. It was important to offer the students the opportunity to share a formal, family-style, sit-down meal with members of the local community.

For the community members who attended as guests, it was an eye-opening opportunity for them to see Rectory in a new light. Everything we do at Rectory revolves around the students and teachable moments. Mr. Long and Mr. Zerpa brainstormed this idea for quite some time. They felt it was important to include former faculty members who live nearby, in addition to other important members of our community. For the second year now, retired teachers, tutors, and their spouses have come back to campus, with smiles on their faces and gratitude in their hearts, to share in this special time with current teachers and students at Rectory, their second home for so many years.

Mr. Williams, Rectory's Headmaster (on right), with Mr. Long & Mr. Zerpa, who were the inspiration behind this wonderful new Thanksgiving tradition at Rectory!

Everyone truly enjoyed sharing this meal together, as you can see from the attached photos. (All photos are courtesy of Mrs. Seaward of Rectory.) The students behaved very well and showcased the great sense of family that permeates throughout our school. This event was a great success, and Rectory received much warm praise from all those who attended.

This community Thanksgiving dinner is a new tradition at Rectory that is here to stay! Thank you Mr. Zerpa and Mr. Long for organizing this wonderful event for the members of the Rectory and Pomfret communities! We are thankful to both of you for all that you do for us!

About the Writer
Mrs. Shattuck, The DiRectory Advisor

In 2013/2014 Mrs. Shattuck became the new student newspaper advisor. She had big shoes to fill, as she took over for Mrs. Rimer who retired the year before from her 16-year position as The DiRectory’s newspaper advisor. Now this is Mrs. Shattuck’s fourth year at The Rectory School. She teaches Grade 8 Language Skills, facilitates the 9th-grade on-line world language courses (through Middlebury College in Vermont), and also tutors students in Rectory’s Individualized Instruction Program. Mrs. Shattuck is very excited that the Rectory student newspaper is still going strong in its second year as an “online only” publication. “In an online newspaper, the articles are more timely, and students can include video clips and interest polls. So the student newspaper is truly interactive and lively, just as a middle-school paper should be!”

1 Comment

One Response to “Community Thanksgiving Dinner: A New Rectory Tradition”

1. Fred Williams on December 17th, 2016 2:21 am

This is always one of my favorite meals of the year. Thanks for organizing Mr. Long and Mr. Zerpa.

*

• Community Thanksgiving Dinner: A New Rectory Tradition

New Teacher Profiles

Mr. Li, A New Teacher in Rectory’s Elementary School

Student Life

Ms. Minifie’s Art Elective

Sports

Rectory’s Wrestling Team

Student Life

Rectory’s Marching Band Marches On!

Self-Driving Cars Will Soon Be a Reality: Can You Imagine?

Sports

The Inequality of Male and Female Athletes’ Salaries

Student Life

Rectory’s MELP Program

StarCraft II Video Game Review

Rectory’s 2017 Spring Play: Seussical, Jr.

Student Athlete Spotlight

Rectory Athletes: Baseball & Lacrosse Student Interviews