The student news site of The Rectory School

• Welcome back, Rectory! Hope you enjoyed your vacation and your MELP! Spring term 2017 starts now!

Filed under News, Showcase

Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

flickr.com

flickr.com

Everyone has heard the names, Trump and Hillary. Over the past couple of months, the election has begun to heat up, and the last of three debates has already taken place. Many people have their own ideas on this historic and unusual election, with the two major-party nominees, Democrat Hillary Clinton, the “establishment” candidate, and Republican Donald Trump, the “new voice of politics.” The outcome of this election could affect all of the students at this school, whether domestic or foreign.

Donald J. Trump was born in 1946 in Queens, New York, to a wealthy family, who had made their fortune in real estate. Trump followed in his father’s footsteps and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with a degree in economics. He was able to make his estimated 3.6 billion dollar fortune by investing in the real estate and casino businesses. In 1971, he took control of his father’s company, which he renamed The Trump Organization. (Newsela, web, 18 October 2016)

Hillary Clinton was born on October 26, 1947, in Chicago, Illinois. After earning her law degree at Yale University, she married fellow graduate Bill Clinton in 1975. She went on to serve as First Lady of the U.S. during her husband’s two terms as President from 1993 to 2001 and U.S Senator of New York from 2001 to 2009. After Obama won the national election in 2008, he appointed Hillary as Secretary of State, and she served until 2013. In 2016, she became the first woman to become the U.S. presidential nominee for a major political party. And if she wins the election, she will become the first female president in the history of the United States. (Newsela)

In this election, trust in the candidates is a big issue. The majority of the people we interviewed said that they trust Hillary, although some people said they don’t trust her. Also, foreign policy is a big issue with people at Rectory, as it could potentially affect many of our international students. Hillary wants to lobby for more U.S. allies and support of the Iran Nuclear Deal, and her priority is to maintain a cutting-edge military for the safety of the country. Donald wants to get rid of the Iran Nuclear Deal, as he believes that this deal is “equivalent to putting nuclear weapons in the hands of terrorists,” and he wants to end the Obama practice of “apologizing to our enemies.” (Newsela)

Immigration is another big issue in this election. Both candidates have different views on this topic. Donald wants to make the immigration system more rigorous and allow only the more qualified candidates to become citizens. Clinton wants the complete opposite, as she wants more immigrants to become naturalized and keep the families of immigrants together. (Newsela)

Following are the opinions of some Rectory employees whom we interviewed about the election and the two major-party candidates.

• Mr. Smith is a second-year history teacher and tutor at Rectory.

The DiRectory: What do you think of the election this year?

Mr. Smith: I don’t know, but I think it’s an illustration of how messed up the politics are these days.

The DiRectory: Which candidate do you prefer?

Mr. Smith: I prefer Hillary Clinton.

The DiRectory: What’s one word you would use to describe each candidate?

Mr. Smith: Donald Trump is brash; Hillary Clinton is experienced.

• Mr. Bendall has worked at Rectory for two years; he is the Director of Residential Life.

The DiRectory: What do you think of the election?

Mr. Bendall: The election is difficult to watch.

The DiRectory: In your opinion, which candidate is more trustworthy?

Mr. Bendall: Neither candidate is very trustworthy, but I think Hillary is more trustworthy than Trump.

The DiRectory: For each of the candidates, which of their policies do you agree with?

Mr. Bendall: I’m not even sure that either candidate has any specific policies planned out. But Clinton has more experience and fights for more social programs, and she does a better job of explaining her policies than Trump does.

• Mr. Williams is the headmaster of Rectory School.

Mr. Williams: I am disappointed overall; both parties were unable to put forward candidates with greater appeal and potential.

The DiRectory: Which candidate do you prefer and why?

Mr. Williams: I want the candidate who will do a better job for the country, which is by solving national issues and being a good ambassador internationally, but I am not going to give a name.

The DiRectory: What is one word you would use to describe each candidate?

Mr. Williams: Trump represents a new approach, which is novel, and Clinton has more of a traditional approach, but I can’t answer that right off the bat.

The DiRectory: What do you think of the debates?

Mr. Williams:  Trump was calm at first, but he began to break. Clinton seemed to have the stamina that Trump claimed she didn’t. I think that they were more civil and got their points across without criticizing each other.

• Mr. Fuller is the seventh-grade science teacher at Rectory; he has been a faculty member for several years.

Mr. Fuller: I think that it’s scary and concerning.

The DiRectory: Which candidate do you favor more?

Mr. Fuller: Neither.

Mr. Fuller: I favor Clinton’s focus on getting rid of private prisons at the state level and her recent policies on new-job creation.

Mr.Fuller: Entertaining.

As you can see, this election is controversial, and the results will truly be a close call. Both candidates have pros and cons and very different views on important issues. Election Day is Tuesday, November 8th, so get out and vote, and let’s see who will be our new president!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary”

1. adviser on November 20th, 2016 12:34 pm

Hayden and Louis, you did a great job writing this article. It was a good exercise in “narrowing your focus,” as there was a wealth of information about both candidates and the election. Good job!

[Reply]

2. Brenda Epifani on November 20th, 2016 8:28 pm

Nice article Louis & Hayden! I would love to read a follow-up article on the election results.

[Reply]

• Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

Showcase

Rectory 9th Grader Wins 2017 Connecticut High School Film Contest for Kindness

• Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

Former President Obama Announced Mars Exploration Mission

• Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

Grand Opening of Rectory’s New Hale Elementary School and Smith Learning Center!

• Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

New Teacher Profiles

This is Mr. Finnegan

• Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

Showcase

Rectory’s Girls’ JV Basketball Team

• Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

Team 5 Elements: A Creative Super Heroes’ Story

• Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

Showcase

Rectory’s Chess Elective and State-Champion Player

• Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

Showcase

Tips for Student Ambassadors: How to Be a Great Campus Tour Guide

• Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

Top 5 Decorated Christmas Trees in the World

• Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

Showcase

Community Thanksgiving Dinner: A New Rectory Tradition

Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary