The student news site of The Rectory School

• Welcome back, Rectory! Hope you enjoyed your vacation and your MELP! Spring term 2017 starts now!

Filed under A&E, Showcase

Popular Shoes Can Be Pricey!

www.adboostsale.com/adidas-yeezy

A pair of sneakers for $10,000? Are you kidding? Limited editions of shoes often sell for higher prices than their retail cost. Retail prices on limited editions of shoes are often $100 to $200 a pair, but resellers, such as Flight Club, often drive up the prices by hundreds of dollars. For example, the Adidas Yeezys 350 sold at retail for $200, but resellers are currently selling it for over a thousand dollars a pair. Resellers often find out how limited the supply of the shoes is; if the supply is very limited, the price will be higher than other shoes that are not as limited. Even shoes that are considered “not good-looking” sell out because of their brand name.

Andrei Asinas Photography, flickr.com

The Air Jordans are also very popular shoes among “sneaker heads.” The most popular and exclusive shoes in the Jordan lineup are the Air Jordans 1 – 11 because these were first released when Michael Jordan, the basketball player, was still playing and was at the peak of his popularity. The Jordan brand often comes out with remakes of their shoes, which are highly valued among “sneaker heads.”

Another popular pair of shoes is Nike’s Air Mag “Back to the Future,” which are the sneakers Michael J. Fox wore in the 1989 movie of the same name. Originally, Nike only made 89 pairs of these shoes, but they recently announced that they would be coming out with more of these fan favorites. If you saw the movie, you may recall that when Michael J. Fox slipped into these fancy sneakers, they laced up by themselves. Pretty cool! But would you pay $10,000 for a pair of these sneakers? That’s the going price, believe it or not! Now that’s crazy!!

Just as crazy to me is that many people collect these limited edition shoes, and they don’t even wear them. They will spray a water repellent protector on them, such as Crep Protect, to keep them clean. In my opinion, if you spend so much money on a pair of shoes, you should wear them. Some people don’t wear these shoes because they are afraid to crease them or get them dirty, and they want to keep them in “showroom or mint condition.” I do not think the shoes are worth their resell price, since the quality of the shoes is really just $100 – $300 per pair, but resellers are pricing them at thousands of dollars per pair. What do you think?

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Popular Shoes Can Be Pricey!”

1. Fred Williams on December 4th, 2016 9:20 pm

I get all my sneakers at DSW or outlets. Can’t beat the prices!

[Reply]

2. Jay S on December 7th, 2016 6:56 pm

I personally love sneakers. I have had tons of Jordans in my life and currently have a whole closet full of them. I believe that if you really like something you should be able to go out and get it. Also, the reselling of limited shoes is kind of smart in a way because it helps you get a larger profit for the shoes.

[Reply]

• Popular  Shoes Can Be Pricey!

Showcase

Rectory 9th Grader Wins 2017 Connecticut High School Film Contest for Kindness

• Popular  Shoes Can Be Pricey!

Former President Obama Announced Mars Exploration Mission

• Popular  Shoes Can Be Pricey!

Grand Opening of Rectory’s New Hale Elementary School and Smith Learning Center!

• Popular  Shoes Can Be Pricey!

New Teacher Profiles

This is Mr. Finnegan

• Popular  Shoes Can Be Pricey!

Showcase

Rectory’s Girls’ JV Basketball Team

• Popular  Shoes Can Be Pricey!

Team 5 Elements: A Creative Super Heroes’ Story

• Popular  Shoes Can Be Pricey!

Showcase

Rectory’s Chess Elective and State-Champion Player

• Popular  Shoes Can Be Pricey!

Showcase

Tips for Student Ambassadors: How to Be a Great Campus Tour Guide

• Popular  Shoes Can Be Pricey!

Top 5 Decorated Christmas Trees in the World

• Popular  Shoes Can Be Pricey!

Showcase

Community Thanksgiving Dinner: A New Rectory Tradition

Popular Shoes Can Be Pricey!