Rectory’s Weekend Activities for Students

The Rectory School offers a lot of different weekend activities for its students. Some activities happen every weekend, while others are special events that happen annually or just one time.

Ongoing Weekend Activities                          Special Weekend Activities

Movies in the Tang                                                   Cooking special foods

Sports in gym/fields                                                 Attending sporting events

Putnam Library visits                                               Six Flags outing

Movie cinema trips                                                   Asian buffet trips

Chapel (Sunday mornings)                                     Mall trips

Dorm activities                                                          Baker’s Dozen trips (for smoothies & baked goods)

First Friday events                                                   Ski trips (Sundays in winter)

I interviewed Ms. O’Neil, Rectory’s Director of Student Activities, to ask her some questions about the weekend activities she schedules for Rectory students. I also asked some students what they think about Rectory’s weekend activities.

DiRectory: How many kinds of weekend activities are there for the students?

Ms. O’Neil: We have a lot of different activities. We try to make sure there are activities for all of the students’ different interests.

DiRectory: How does the Rectory school decide which activities to offer?

Ms. O’Neil: A variety of different ways: sometimes kids ask to do a particular activity; sometimes faculty come up with ideas; and sometimes I come up with them on my own.

DiRectory: Where do you get your ideas for activities?

Ms. O’Neil: I try to look up different ideas or listen to cool things that other people do and see if we can modify them for Rectory. Sometimes my mom calls and tells me about fun things she has heard about. 🙂

DiRectory: Why are there sometimes different activities scheduled for the younger students than for the older students?

Ms. O’Neil: The older students get a little more freedom in the form of mall trips and the like. The younger kids need more supervision and guidance.

DiRectory: How do the students select their activities?

Ms. O’Neil: During breakfast on Tuesday or Wednesday mornings in the dining hall, I pass out the schedule of events for the following weekend. Students check off the events they’d like to participate in, and they pass their completed schedules back to me. Then, by Friday afternoon, I send an e-mail to the faculty, so the dorm parents will know which students will be attending each activity.

DiRectory: What’s the minimum number of students needed for an activity to happen?

Ms. O’Neil: I’m not sure. If only a couple of kids want to do something, and we have the faculty needed to cover the activity, we’ll do it!

DiRectory: What’s the activity with the most student participants?

Ms. O’Neil: The 8th- and 9th-grade Six Flags trip is always the biggest event.

DiRectory: What are your goals as Director of Student Activities?

Ms. O’Neil: I want to make sure that our boarding students feel like they are home. If they were at home, and they wanted to do something, they would ask their mom or dad. I want them to feel comfortable coming and asking me or another residential life faculty member. It is important for students to explore and try new things. I want to give them the opportunity to do so.

DiRectory: What’s the process when a student has an idea for a weekend activity?

Ms. O’Neil: A student can message me on Schoology, e-mail me, stop by my office, or see me anywhere around campus! I’m all ears for new ideas!

********************************************************************************************

Following are comments from some Rectory students about the weekend activities at Rectory School:

• Leo S. (Grade 9) –

DiRectory: Do you enjoy the weekend student life at Rectory?

Leo S.: Yes!

DiRectory: Which activity do you like best?

Leo S.: My favorite activity is going to The Vanilla Bean Café.

DiRectory: What do you like best about the weekend schedule?

Leo S.: I like having only one study hall on Sunday mornings.

DiRectory: What do you dislike most about the weekend schedule?

Leo S.: I don’t like that there is no activity on Saturday morning.

DiRectory: Can you give some advice to improve the weekend activities?

Leo S.: I think we should add an activity on Saturday morning.

• Charlie Z. (Grade 9) –

DiRectory: Do you enjoy the weekend student life?

Charlie Z.: Yes, I do.

DiRectory: Which activities do you like best?

Charlie Z.: My favorite weekend activities are the ice-cream trips and the downtown Putnam trips.

Charlie Z.: The best thing is we get to wake up late, so we can get more sleep.

Charlie Z.: I dislike going to Chapel on Sunday mornings; I think it should be optional. Also, I don’t like having to wait to get my technology until 3:00 pm on Saturday afternoons.

DiRectory: Can you give me some suggestions to improve the weekend activities?

Charlie Z.: I think we should have more trips to the restaurant that has the Asian buffet because a lot of students like eating that kind of food.

• Tianshu W. (Class of 2016) –

DiRectory: Do you enjoy the students’ weekend schedule at Rectory?

Tianshu W.: YES! I love it!

Tianshu W.: I like going to Six Flags, playing in the spring basketball League, and taking trips to downtown Putnam.

Tianshu W.: I like that we can sleep in on the weekends and have a lot of free time to hang out and play games with our friends.

Tianshu W.: I think the activity period on Sunday afternoon should be optional. That way, students who haven’t finished their weekend homework can stay on dorm, while others who prefer to run around in the fields can have fun outside.

DiRectory: Can you give some advice or suggestions to improve the weekend activities?

Tianshu W.: I think Chapel should be optional. I also think that students should be able to have their tech on Saturday mornings.

• Yitong W. (Grade 9) –

DiRectory: What do you enjoy about the students’ weekend schedule at Rectory?

Yitong W.: I like the way Rectory arranges the weekend activities for students. It would be kind of boring if we all stayed in our dorms for the whole weekend and did nothing special.

Yitong W.: I like taking trips to the mall, Six Flags, the Asian buffet, downtown Putnam, and the library. I also really enjoyed the African dancing activity last year!

DiRectory: What do you like best about the weekend schedule at Rectory?

Yitong W.: Well, the schedule for weekends encourages us to do some work, to try different activities, and to leave the Rectory “bubble,” instead of staying in the dorm all day sleeping or using our technology. I think these are all good ideas for young teenagers.

Yitong W.: I also agree that Chapel should be optional, and that we should get our technology on Saturday mornings.

DiRectory: Can you give any advice to improve the weekend activities?

Yitong W.: I wish we could have more activities, including more off-campus trips. I love going to new places and trying new things!

Overall, the weekend activities at Rectory are a lot of fun and most students enjoy them. We really appreciate all of Ms. O’Neil’s hard work organizing the different activities and events for us to choose from. At the end of a long academic week, students appreciate having a variety of activities to keep them busy and happy during the weekend. Thank you, Ms. O’Neil!