• Ninth-grade graduation is Saturday, June 8th! Congratulations to all the graduates!

• Last day of school is Thursday, June 6th, 2019! Enjoy your summer vacation!

• Spring term exams are coming soon (week of June 3rd)! Start studying now! Good luck!

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks

youtube.com

Next school year (2016/17) Rectory School will be supplying all students in grades 7 through 9 with a Chromebook™. The DiRectory was curious as to why the school decided to switch students from using Mac®-based computers to Chromebooks, and here is what we found out.

Chromebooks are small laptops that are more easily controlled and regulated by one main office or user, which will prevent students from using sites and/or video games, etc., that are not related to schoolwork during the academic day. Chromebooks are made by Google™; they have no internal storage space, which means students will not be able to download games or other distractions onto their computers. They also use Google-based apps like Google Drive®, which allows more collaboration among teachers and students. Chromebooks also have a long battery life and are certified by multiple online testing groups. A central user like Rectory’s Technology Office can turn off all web browsing and render the USB ports on the Chromebooks to be inactive, so students taking an online test (via our school’s learning management system, Schoology®, for example) can only work on that test and not do anything unrelated to it, such as searching the Internet. This will prohibit students from cheating, which has not been a big problem at Rectory School, but this will certainly take away any temptation for doing so. In short, it seems that by switching to Chromebooks, our students will spend more time “on task” in the classroom, which means more time learning!

In the attached video, some of our own faculty and students comment on their thoughts about the transition to Chromebooks. Please watch our video to find out what they had to say.* Together with the information provided above, you can then decide for yourself if you think the switch to Chromebooks will be beneficial to our students. We see plenty of advantages to using the Chromebooks, and we know that our school’s administration is always looking out for the best interest of our students.

*When you are done viewing the video, press the “Escape” button to return to our newspaper. Thank you for watching!

About the Writer
Jackson M., Staff Reporter

Hello! My name is Jackson M., and I am in seventh grade. This is my second year at Rectory School, and this is my first year on The DiRectory staff. I...

1 Comment

One Response to “Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks”

1. Fred Williams on June 21st, 2016 6:38 pm

Jackson,
    This is going to be an exciting move for Rectory, thanks for documenting it in the paper. A number of companies are now making Chromebooks, not just Google. And there are apps as well as a small amount of internal storage so you can work on documents and projects off line. This year Chromebooks overtook Ipads as the most prevalent device in schools. I have been using one for the last few months and have found it a great work experience.

*

• Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks

Rectory’s Spring Musical, “Once on This Island, Jr.”

• Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks

Student Life

New MELPs at Rectory in 2019

• Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks

Captain Marvel Movie Review

• Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks

Opinion

Are IO Games Taking Over at Rectory?

• Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks

Sports

Pine Tar and Its Use in MLB

• Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks

Sled-Dog Race, Anyone?

• Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks

Notre-Dame Cathedral de Paris Damaged By Raging Fire

• Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks

Opinion

The PlayStation Plus Scam

• Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks

Student Life

Former Rectory Student and Newspaper Member Wins Prestigious Journalism Award!

• Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks

China’s Popular Food

Rectory’s Switch to Chromebooks