• Fall Family Weekend 2018 is here! Friday, Oct. 12th thru Sunday, Oct. 14th: Welcome, Parents, Grandparents, & Siblings!

Filed under Showcase, Sports

JV Tennis Coaches, Burke & Slocum

Rectory's 2016 JV Tennis Team with their coaches, Ms. Slocum and Mrs. Burke. The players enjoy working with their coaches and feel they have learned a lot of tennis skills from them.

For the 2016 spring term, Ms. Slocum and Mrs. Burke are the coaches for the JV tennis team. The DiRectory interviewed these coaches and asked them about the game of tennis. They both like tennis very much. Mrs. Burke likes being a tennis coach because she started playing tennis when she was just seven years old. She thinks it’s a good sport to know how to play, as you can play it for the rest of your life. Ms. Slocum wants to be able to encourage students to play sports. She wasn’t a tennis player when she was growing up, but she wanted to learn more about this sport. Mrs. Burke said her goal for the team this year is to ensure that the players enjoy playing and learning about the game, and she wants the players to improve their tennis skills. Ms. Slocum wants to learn more about tennis herself, and she wants all the players on the team to feel that they have improved by the end of the season.

Next, we asked the JV tennis coaches about their team’s schedule for this year and how they think the team will perform. Mrs. Burke said she’s not sure. “It really depends on the individual teams we are playing.” Ms. Slocum thinks their team can win all of their matches, if they work real hard. The coaches told us what they think is the most important quality for a tennis player. Mrs. Burke said, “The most important thing is to know the fundamentals of the sport, and to know a lot about the mental game.” Ms. Slocum thinks it’s important to work hard and to never give up.

The 2016 JV Tennis Team coaches, Ms. Slocum and Mrs. Burke.

Finally, we asked the players on the JV tennis team to tell us about their coaches. The players like Mrs. Burke and Ms. Slocum; they think their coaches help the players improve, and they enjoy being part of the JV tennis team. Tony S. thinks the coaches are very kind, and he said he has learned many tennis skills from them. Rose F. said, “Our coaches are very nice, and they always play tennis games with the players. I like being on the JV tennis team.” Considering all the positive comments from the members of their tennis team, the JV tennis coaches are doing a great job. Their team members hope Mrs. Burke and Ms. Slocum will keep coaching this team.

About the Writer
Charlie Z., Staff Reporter

My name is Charlie, and I come from China. I’m 15 years old this year. This is my first year at Rectory School, and I’m in eighth grade. I like swimming and playing tennis. I don’t have any brothers or sisters, but I have a Chinchilla cat that’s part of my family.