The student news site of The Rectory School

• Welcome back, Rectory! Hope you enjoyed your vacation and your MELP! Spring term 2017 starts now!

Should There Be a Longer Break or a Second Break Next Year?

Our new daily academic schedule as of September, 2015.

This year the Rectory Middle School has a new daily schedule which includes a 15-minute break every morning after the second class. The older students (Grades 7 – 9) take their break in the dining hall, and the younger students (Grades 5 & 6) have their break in the Day Student Room on the bottom floor of the Academic Building. Healthy snacks, such as apples, are provided to the students each day. However, with the longer class periods in the new schedule (Each class is now one hour long, instead of just 45 minutes.), some of us are wondering if there should be an afternoon break and/or a longer morning break next year. I think  there should be because some students (including myself) feel stressed out or under pressure during the academic day. A second break or an extended morning break would help students calm down and relax during the day, and people do better on tests and perform better in class when they are relaxed.

In my opinion, a second break would help students cool down after a long day in preparation for their afternoon sports. I suggest having the second break between fourth and fifth periods. Also, if students had a sports game that afternoon, they could get ready and calm down so they would perform better in their game. They could also use the second break as a study hall if they wanted to; many students get a lot of homework, and they could benefit from an extra break. In addition, when students have away games, they get home late, and it’s difficult for them to finish all their homework. For example, I usually get a lot of homework, and I feel rushed sometimes at night trying to finish all of my assignments.

If the morning break were longer, students would be less stressed. They could have more time to have fun and calm down. I personally think that school should be fun and not very stressful. Also, some other middle schools have a morning break and a recess after lunch, so I think it would be nice if we had more break time, too.

A morning break would also help the teachers because they could have time to plan or grade or just relax! Most teachers have at least one free period a day. For example, some teachers teach 3-4 classes a day, and have one prep period. However, with the new schedule, there are teachers who don’t get a free period every day. I think they could use more time. Also, if a teacher’s free period is at the beginning of the day, they may not have much work to do, but later in the day, they usually have a lot more work. Teachers also have to use some of their time at home to do their planning and grading, and I think they should just get to hang out after a long day of teaching. Teachers should get to relax, too!

The DiRectory interviewed Rectory students Natalie P. and Tianshu W. to hear their opinions on having an extra break or a longer break in the morning:

The DiRectory: What grade are you in?

Tianshu: I’m in ninth grade.

The DiRectory: Do you think that next year there should be a longer morning break and/or an afternoon break? Why or why not?

Tianshu: I think there should be a longer morning break because we already have sports in the afternoon. We also have three or four hours of classes in the morning, and I could use more time to calm down.

The DiRectory: Do you feel like you get enough break time during the day, or would you like more?

Tianshu: I think there should be more, because we have a lot of class time, and I could use more time to relax and prepare for the next class.

The DiRectory: Are you stressed or under pressure during the day? Would a longer break help with this?

Tianshu: Yes, I’m sometimes stressed out, and  I think a longer break would help me calm down.

The DiRectory: What are some other ways a longer break would help you?

Tianshu: I could get a snack, drink some water, and talk to my friends. It would help me relax.

Here’s what Natalie P. had to say:

The DiRectory: What grade are you in?

Natalie: Eighth grade.

The DiRectory: Do you think there should be an afternoon break and/or a longer morning break next year? Why or why not?

Natalie: I think there should be an afternoon break because some students need a chance to calm down after a long day, and just relax.

The DiRectory: Do you think you get enough break time during the day?

Natalie: Sometimes. It depends on how I’m feeling and what I need to do for my classes.

The DiRectory: Are you stressed during the day, and do you think you would benefit from another break or a longer break?

Natalie: I think I would because I sometimes am stressed out because of tests and other assignments. I feel like I should relax more.

The DiRectory: How do you think you would benefit from a second break or a longer break?

Natalie: I could calm myself down and prepare for sports.

These students that we interviewed both think there should be more break time next year. What do you think?

1 Comment

One Response to “Should There Be a Longer Break or a Second Break Next Year?”

1. Fred Williams on May 22nd, 2016 11:52 am

This is a great topic for the newspaper to pick up. I do wish that a teacher had been interviewed. It would have been interesting to get that opinion as well.

[Reply]

• Should There Be a Longer Break or a Second Break Next Year?

Showcase

Rectory 9th Grader Wins 2017 Connecticut High School Film Contest for Kindness

Former President Obama Announced Mars Exploration Mission

Grand Opening of Rectory’s New Hale Elementary School and Smith Learning Center!

New Teacher Profiles

This is Mr. Finnegan

Showcase

Rectory’s Girls’ JV Basketball Team

Team 5 Elements: A Creative Super Heroes’ Story

Showcase

Rectory’s Chess Elective and State-Champion Player

Showcase

Tips for Student Ambassadors: How to Be a Great Campus Tour Guide

Top 5 Decorated Christmas Trees in the World

Showcase

Community Thanksgiving Dinner: A New Rectory Tradition