Minecraft EDU™ Elective at Rectory School

The Minecraft EDU™ Elective is very popular with students at Rectory School this year. (photo by speedofcreativity.org)

Introduction by Mrs. Shattuck, Newspaper Advisor

During the winter term at Rectory, Mr. Wiegel taught an elective called “Minecraft EDU™.” I’m sure you all know about the popular video game “Minecraft™,” but what is “Minecraft EDU?” “Minecraft Education Edition,” which is the full name, was created by the makers of the video game, Mojang Synergies AB,  to promote learning. The video game itself engages students and allows them to explore and discover; it taps into students’ creativity, teaches them the importance of collaboration, and also gives them practice with problem-solving. These are all twenty-first century skills that are highly sought and that today’s youth will need to master in order to do well in school, in the workplace, and in society as a whole. In fact, did you know that “Researchers in 2013 found that 30 minutes of daily video game play led to increased brain plasticity along with additional development in areas crucial for spatial reasoning, strategic planning, working memory, and motor skills [Kunh, 2013].”? Wow! I had no idea that playing video games could improve your brain and increase other skills that affect learning! 

By introducing “Minecraft EDU,” Mojang Synergies AB has designed a versatile platform that can be used to teach all types of subjects, from math and physics to history and language arts.  According to the company, “There is no limit to what students can learn in the game, and no limit to how the game can extend classroom learning.”

Max and Thomas of The DiRectory staff interviewed Mr. Wiegel and some of his students to find out what they are doing in this elective and what they think of “Minecraft EDU.” Check out their video to the right and then decide if you’d like to be part of the next “Minecraft EDU” Elective at Rectory.