• Rectory's last day of school is Thursday, June 8th, 2017! Have a safe and happy summer!!

Filed under A&E

The Notorious B.I.G.

In this rare photo of the two rappers together, Biggie is on the left, and Tupac is on the right. (youtube.com)

Christopher George Latore Wallace, better known as “Biggie Smalls,” “The Notorious B.I.G,” or just simply “Biggie,” was an American rapper who was born on May 21, 1972, in Brooklyn, New York. Biggie is ranked as one of the greatest and most influential rappers of all time. The nickname “Biggie Smalls” comes from a movie in 1975 called “Let’s Do It Again,” starring Sidney Poitier.

In 1994 Biggie released his debut album “Ready to Die.” It was a smash hit and helped to shape his career. His long feud with Tupac Shakur, another famous rapper, also helped bring notoriety to his career.

In a shooting in November of 1994, Tupac Shakur was wounded with 2 shots to his head. Tupac said that one of the people responsible for the shooting was Biggie. So Shakur released a number of scathing rhymes against Biggie Smalls, including a negative remark about Biggie’s wife.

Two years later, in September of 1996, Tupac attended a Mike Tyson boxing match. After that he got in the passenger seat of Suge Knight’s car; Knight is the former CEO of Death Row Records. At a stoplight, a white Cadillac pulled up next to Knight’s car. Many shots were fired from someone in that car, and Tupac was killed.

A few months later, in 1997, at a stoplight in Los Angeles, Biggie met the same fate; he was only 24. It was said that people sent by Biggie killed Tupac, and people sent by Tupac’s friends killed Biggie.

At this time, there are people who still think that Biggie is the best rapper in history. In fact, one of my favorite rap songs is Biggie’s song “Juicy.”

It’s too bad that Biggie and Tupac aren’t still alive to continue their singing rivalry. Healthy competition makes everyone involved stronger and better. However, when the rivalry gets personal and ends in tragedy, it doesn’t help anyone. Not only are Tupac and Shakur both dead now, which hurts their families, friends, and fans, but the world will no longer hear any new music from either of them ever again. What a shame! If we can all learn a lesson from this tragedy, then maybe they will not have died in vain. So what is the lesson that you will learn from their senseless deaths? I want you to think long and hard about it because I hope a tragedy like this never happens again.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Notorious B.I.G.”

1. adviser on April 10th, 2016 2:24 pm

Santiago, You did a nice job on highlighting the senseless act of killing and its finality. I, too, hope all the students at Rectory learn a valuable lesson from the death of these two famous rappers. Great work! Mrs. Shattuck

[Reply]

*

• The Notorious B.I.G.

Showcase

Ms. Minifie’s Art Elective

• The Notorious B.I.G.

Showcase

Rectory’s Wrestling Team

• The Notorious B.I.G.

Showcase

Rectory’s Marching Band Marches On!

• The Notorious B.I.G.

Self-Driving Cars Will Soon Be a Reality: Can You Imagine?

• The Notorious B.I.G.

Showcase

The Inequality of Male and Female Athletes’ Salaries

• The Notorious B.I.G.

Showcase

Rectory’s MELP Program

• The Notorious B.I.G.

StarCraft II Video Game Review

• The Notorious B.I.G.

Rectory’s 2017 Spring Play: Seussical, Jr.

• The Notorious B.I.G.

Showcase

Rectory Athletes: Baseball & Lacrosse Student Interviews

• The Notorious B.I.G.

Coaches' Corner

Coach Gray

The student news site of The Rectory School.
The Notorious B.I.G.