Mr. Smith, the New Kid on the Block

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Smith, the New Kid on the Block

Mr.  Smith is a new full-time tutor at Rectory School this year; he is also a dorm parent and an athletic coach.

Mr. Smith is a new full-time tutor at Rectory School this year; he is also a dorm parent and an athletic coach.

Who is Mr. Smith?

Well, as a new faculty member at Rectory School this year, Mr. Smith is very popular with the teachers and students. Everyone loves having him here on campus. Although it is only his first year at Rectory, Mr. Smith has a variety of jobs to do. He coaches the Girls’ JV Soccer Team and the Boys’ Lacrosse Team, tutors students in the Individualized Instruction Program (IIP), serves as a dorm parent for the students in Memorial Dorm, and sometimes serves as a study hall proctor.

If you want to find out some interesting information about Mr. Smith that you don’t already know, take a look at the interview The DiRectory staff conducted with him.

The DiRectory: How did you find out about Rectory?

Mr. Smith: “Before I came here, I was working with an agency that searches for jobs for people in the educational field. The next thing I knew, I got an email from Mr. Williams asking me if I wanted to work at Rectory School as a faculty member.”

The DiRectory: Why did you want to be a faculty member at Rectory School?

Mr. Smith: “Well, I get to hang out with all the students here, and I get to meet and work with all the good faculty members here, too. That’s what I really like about being a Rectory faculty member.”

The DiRectory: Where are you from?

Mr. Smith: “I grew up in Maine in a town called Gardiner. It’s about a three-hour drive from here.”

The DiRectory: Which high school did you attend?

Mr. Smith: “I went to a school called North Yarmouth Academy in Yarmouth, Maine.”

The DiRectory: What are your impressions of Rectory?

Mr. Smith: “It is a close-knit community. The students and teachers all care about each other. There is a lot of really cool stuff going on around here, too!”

The DiRectory: What kind of activities do you like to do in your spare time?

Mr. Smith: “I like to hang out with my friends, go hiking, play ice hockey and watch it on TV, and enjoy the outdoors whenever I can.”

The DiRectory: What do you like most about Rectory so far?

Mr. Smith: “My favorite thing about Rectory School is getting to know all the students here, specifically Yitong W.” (Did we tell you Mr. Smith likes to joke around?)

The DiRectory: Where is your favorite place to travel or visit?

Mr. Smith: “I really like visiting Europe; I’ve been there several times. It’s fun to go there in the summer.”

The DiRectory: What subjects are you teaching this year?

Mr. Smith: “I am a full-time tutor in the IIP program, which means I work one-on-one with six different students each day.”

The DiRectory: What’s your favorite meal in Rectory’s dining hall?

Mr. Smith: “Definitely the fish tacos. Fish Taco Day is amazing! It’s the best day of the month!”