Rectory’s Ninth-Grade Capstone Project

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rectory’s Ninth-Grade Capstone Project

WordClouds.com

WordClouds.com

WordClouds.com

The ninth-grade Capstone Project was introduced last year and is now required of all ninth-grade students in order for them to graduate from Rectory School. The project coordinators are Rectory teachers Mrs. LaBonte-Campbell and Mr. Ducksworth. The project consists of a written report and a poster, which the students will present at Rectory’s Capstone Fair in May.

Each student selects a social problem in the world that affects a lot of people and that personally resonates with the student. They research the problem for background information, explain why they think the problem needs to be addressed, and then offer possible solutions to the problem. Each student has a Rectory faculty member as their leader to guide them and to make sure they meet all their project deadlines. The purpose of the project is twofold: to encourage students to think outside the box to solve a problem; and to teach students how to break a large project into smaller, more manageable components.

The DiRectory interviewed Mrs. LaBonte-Campbell and Mr. Ducksworth to get the inside scoop on the new Capstone Project requirement. Please watch the attached video interviews to learn more about the projects our ninth-grade students are charged with completing this year.