• Rectory's winter break starts in just two weeks: Friday, December 14th at 12:40 pm. Enjoy your break!

Filed under News, Showcase

How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

Back to Article
Back to Article

How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

Have you ever thought about what you can print with 3-D printers?
3-D printers are a recent invention; you may know them as a device that prints objects in 3D. Your 3-D printer can be used to make a phone case, utensils, or jewelry. Now they are being used in the medical field, too. Doctors and research scientists are using 3-D printers to create objects such as hearts, bones, and even teeth!

First of all, what exactly is a 3-D printer? A 3-D printer is a type of printer that uses thin pieces of nylon string to make the plastic for the item you are creating. The printers come with the computer program to produce your object; the most popular program is MakerBot®. It can take a few hours to print a small fork, but, as the years go by,
processing power will become more stable, which will lead to faster printing.

According to doctor  Bertalan Meskó, the 3-D printer can be very beneficial when it comes to medical uses. The printer can make objects that help people who need a life-saving transplant, for instance a heart or a lung. There are many people who have lung failure and need a new pair of lungs, but it’s not easy to get a working lung from another person. Since organ donations from donors can be difficult to obtain because of long waiting lists, printing an organ would be more reliable and efficient. Executives from Organovo, the first company to market 3-D bioprinting technology, believe that within the next ten years we will be able to print solid organs such as a liver, heart, or kidney (3dprintingindustry.com). Since so many people around the world are waiting for organ donations, imagine how many people’s lives will be improved with this technology!

Medical technicians have also learned how to create cells for the heart using 3-D printers. This technology is very advanced and can get expensive. Researcher and writer Joseph Young reported that students at Wake Forest University in North Carolina have created beating heart cells, and it cost around $24 million for the equipment they needed to accomplish this (3dprinting.com).

Jon Schull founded the non-profit company e-NABLE that provides new hands to young children. In the past, young children did not usually qualify for upper limb prosthetics because they outgrow them too quickly. However, with the use of 3-D printing, e-NABLE can produce prosthetic hands faster and at a much lower cost. In fact, with the current advances in technology, scientists can now scan a foot or any other body part into a 3-D printer. Some programs will scan the size of your foot and then print an accurate representation of it. e-NABLE and another large company, Robohand, are leading the way in this industry with the huge success of their 3-D printable prosthetics (3dprintingindustry.com).

Doctors and scientists aren’t the only ones creating prosthetics out of 3D printers; college students have created prosthetic arms, legs, and hands. This shows that no matter what your age, you can create something that will change the world and someone’s life (cbsnews.com).

There are other medical uses for 3-D printers, too. Hearing aids are mostly 3-D printed now, and now the dental industry has realized the advantages of using 3-D scanning, modeling, and printing tools. Scott Dunham, senior business analyst at SmarTech, thinks the dental industry will radically change within the next ten years, compared to what it looks like today. Dental labs around the world are already using 3-D printing technology to create accurate models of teeth and gums, dental implants, such as crowns, caps, bridges, braces and retainers, dentures (false teeth), and even dental surgical tools (smartechpublishing.com).

After finding out all of this information, you may be thinking, “My, I don’t want to spend $24 million on a 3-D printer just to make one bone or one tooth!” Don’t worry! The prices of 3-D printers range from $500 to $3,000, depending on what model and brand you get. Also, the nylon string isn’t too expensive for how little you need to use; it usually costs about $30 for a couple yards.

As you can see, it’s pretty amazing what you can do with 3-D printers today! Two years ago, these printers were still relatively new to the world, but now they are being used in the medical field to help save and improve people’s lives, which is fascinating. In a few more years, who knows what will be created with 3-D printers!

About the Writers
Nat S., Staff Writer

My name is Natalie S. (Nat). I am in the ninth grade, and I have been at the Rectory School for three years. This year is my fourth and last year here....

Alexander G., Staff Reporter

Alexander G. is a 9th-grade student at The Rectory School. He has been here since 4th grade, and this will be his final year on The DiRectory newspaper...

Mrs. Shattuck, The DiRectory Advisor

In 2013/2014 Mrs. Shattuck became the new student newspaper advisor. She had big shoes to fill, as she took over for Mrs. Rimer who retired the year before...

1 Comment

One Response to “How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?”

1. Fred Williams on October 25th, 2015 8:11 am

Great article. What fascinating uses with even more groundbreaking discoveries to come. Is nylon the only material used by these printers? Some items, like teeth, need to very hard, while novelty items can be much less sturdy. I am curious how the printer controls the density of the items.

*

• How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

Celebrating Rectory’s Centennial!

• How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

Rectory Student Helps Save the Black Rhino

• How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

Self-Driving Cars Will Soon Be a Reality: Can You Imagine?

• How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

Former President Obama Announced Mars Exploration Mission

• How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

Grand Opening of Rectory’s New Hale Elementary School and Smith Learning Center!

• How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

Election 2016: Trump vs. Hillary

• How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

The Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival

• How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

3D Printers in the Modern Day

• How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

2014 Year In Review

• How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?

Attack on Paris Newspaper Charlie Hebdo

How Can 3-D Printers Save Lives?