2015/2016 Editor’s Message

The 2015/16 school year is the third year that our student newspaper, The DiRectory, is fully online. Mrs. Kellaway, former English teacher and now full-time tutor at Rectory, is once again working with me as the newspaper’s co-advisor. We have nine students from grades 7, 8, and 9 who are enthusiastically working on articles and videos about life at Rectory School to share with our community. So we are off to another good start!

Our mission this year will continue to be one of increasing our readership. The students have some great ideas about how to make this happen, including more announcements at morning assembly, hanging posters and pictures around campus to advertise the newspaper, increasing the number of teachers and students who sign up for automatic e-mail alerts, and even purchasing some tablets to place strategically in the academic building that teachers and students can use to access the online newspaper. Mr. Williams has agreed to consider this idea, and the newspaper staff members have already researched prices. We are awaiting final approval, so that we can purchase the tablets and implement this promotional idea as soon as possible.

You can see that being a member of the student newspaper staff is not just about writing articles. Membership also ties in nicely with Rectory’s pillars of learning, a.k.a. the four C’s:  creativity, communication, collaboration, and critical thinking. Our staff members used critical thinking to come up with realistic ideas to meet the challenge of increasing newspaper readership through collaboration with each other, creativity, and then communication with our headmaster, Mr. Williams. Now that’s active learning! Stay tuned and check in often to see when our idea comes to fruition! (We are thinking positively!)