2015 MLK Day of Service

Back to Article
Back to Article

2015 MLK Day of Service

On January 19, 2015, Rectory students and faculty went out into the community for the school’s sixth annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Day of Service. Mr. Williams started this annual tradition in 2008 to honor the accomplishments of Dr. King and to promote the idea of “giving back to the community” among Rectory’s students. Some activities the students participated in this year were: building footbridges on campus, clearing trails for the Audubon Society, baking and delivering food to local food pantries, singing and performing at nursing homes, and volunteering at nearby animal shelters.

In addition to Rectory students helping in the local community, another tradition of the MLK Day of Service is to bring speakers and performers to the school to address the students. This year Rectory had the pleasure of welcoming performers from the group “At the Table with Dr. King,” a multi-media performance group that seeks to continue the work that Martin Luther King began by encouraging students to “listen well, respond with courage, and leave a legacy.” The group consists of national-champion slam poet Ayinde Russell, who read excerpts from Dr. King’s “Letter From a Birmingham Jail,” and Dave LeMieux, a vocalist and pianist with the award-winning band “House of Soul,” who accompanied Russell’s poetry.

Please watch the attached video to hear what students and faculty had to say about their community service projects. We hope you will agree that by “doing for others” we can keep Dr. King’s legacy alive and promote peace and brotherhood in our world!