The student news site of The Rectory School

• Rectory's last day of school is Thursday, June 8th, 2017! Have a safe and happy summer!!

Filed under News

The Hong Kong Protest

Pro-democracy protesters hide behind umbrellas to protect themselves from pepper spray.

Anthony Kwan

Anthony Kwan

October 1st was the 65th national year of China. Although everyone on the Chinese mainland was celebrating this, in Hong Kong there were a lot of people who were not celebrating; they were holding a protest against the Chinese government. The reason is that most of the people in Hong Kong want to be free. They want to be independent as a country, and some people even want to be under British rule again.

During the protest, a lot of police were using pepper spray on the people who were protesting, so a lot of the protesters brought umbrellas to use as shields. Consequently, many people called this the “Umbrella Protest.” The protesters consisted mostly of students and the official government leaders who started the protest.

The reason the protest happened is because the protesters are calling for the removal of Hong Kong’s Chief Executive Cy Leung, and they want Hong Kong’s government to prevent Beijing from screening the candidates for the territory’s 2017 elections. Beijing has decreed that a committee will screen candidates for the inaugural 2017 direct elections to choose the semiautonomous Chinese city’s leader, angering many who call it a fake democracy. Protesters want Hong Kong’s people to be able to name candidates of their own choosing.

It is unclear whether their request will be accepted because Beijing officials said that street protests are illegal and repeatedly accused unidentified foreign forces of inciting them. Organizers said they scrapped the vote because they had not adequately consulted with the public.

Protesters have been holding the main streets in three neighborhoods across Hong Kong since September 28th when police unleashed tear gas in a failed attempt to disperse thousands trying to rally outside government headquarters.