• Fall Family Weekend 2018 is here! Friday, Oct. 12th thru Sunday, Oct. 14th: Welcome, Parents, Grandparents, & Siblings!

Filed under News

Ebola In The United States

REUTERS

REUTERS

The fact is, Ebola is not spreading throughout the US. Unless you are an emergency room nurse in Texas, you have little to no chance of coming into contact with the virus. However, something is spreading like wildfire in the United States. Fear. In a poll by the Washington Post, 65% of Americans answered “somewhat” or “very” when asked how concerned they were about Ebola. And in Los Angeles, 40 firefighters were dispatched to investigate an airline passenger showing flu-like symptoms. He was not diagnosed with Ebola. The plane he was on was not coming from Liberia or Sierra Leone, two of the hardest-hit countries. This plane came directly from New York City. Now, while false alarms and widespread panic can drain our resources, at least people care and are on the lookout, right?

Well, with fear comes misinformation, and with misinformation comes self-proclaimed experts. In an interview with a local newspaper, Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal claimed that water kills Ebola, and that his advice was to “wash your hands.” While his message of hygiene had honorable intentions, water does not kill the Ebola virus. Bleach and chlorine do, and you should never wash your hands with either of those chemicals. On the Internet, the misinformation train is picking up steam. Chris Brown, in all of his infinite wisdom, tweeted that he felt the spread of Ebola seemed intentional, and as a weapon for “population control.”

At least we can take hope that the CDC (Center for Disease Control) workers, whose job it is to contain situations like this one, are golden examples of how to behave during a potential biological disaster. Except they aren’t. Worries over the CDC protocol and execution of plans have prompted panic. Earlier this month, Dallas nurse Amber Vinson helped care for Thomas Eric Duncan, the first case of Ebola in the United States. After he was transported out of Texas, she took a plane to Cleveland, and another back to Dallas. This journey should not have taken place. Now that she has been diagnosed with the Ebola virus, Frontier Airlines has plans to notify more than 800 passengers of their now heightened risk of infection. The CDC says that the Frontier passengers are at “extremely low risk,” but still plans to contact those affected. Recently, a second Texas nurse has tested positive for Ebola, and has been hospitalized, adding to the number of Americans infected.

The bottom line is, with no cure in sight, Ebola will continue to grow in the United States. Currently, there are only three known cases, but unless the CDC begins making deep and sweeping changes to protocol and management, that number could change for the worse, and soon. The general public just has to hope it is not too late.

About the Writer
Nick S., Staff Writer & Student Editor

Nick S. is a 9th-grade student at Rectory. This is his fourth year at Rectory School, and his second year on the student newspaper. He is on the cross country and fencing teams, and he is very interested in politics. Nick won the 8th-grade Journalism Award last year for his noteworthy work on the newspaper staff, and this year, he has been named a Team Leader for the News & Opinion section of the newspaper, as well as a Staff Writer and Student Editor.