• Fall Family Weekend 2018 is here! Friday, Oct. 12th thru Sunday, Oct. 14th: Welcome, Parents, Grandparents, & Siblings!

Filed under A&E, Book Reviews

Book Review: The Hobbit

The Hobbit or There And Back Again, is a very well written book following the adventures of Bilbo Baggins. He journeys with Gandalf and thirteen dwarves; Kili, Fili, Oin, Gloin, and Thorin are a few of them. He travels through forests and mountains and across lakes and streams in his search to kill the dragon Smaug and get millions in gold.

Let me explain. Bilbo Baggins was a hobbit from a long line of heroic hobbits. Gandolf told him he was in high demand to be a “burglar” (meaning that he could easily get by Smaug). Through encounters with wood elves and a mysterious golden ring, Bilbo goes on an adventure that he will never forget. To avoid spoilers, I won’t go into the story, but yes, it was a very good book.

When considering if The Hobbit is the right book for you, it’s important that you know what you might run into. For example, if you don’t like scary stories or science fiction then this book may not be the best fit for you. Critic Dana Stevens explains in more detail just what age groups would be best to read the book:

“Parents need to know that, of J.R.R. Tolkien’s many excellent books, The Hobbit is the better choice for tweens. It makes a great read-aloud for kids 8 and up and read-alone for 10 or 11 and up. Kids younger than 8 will probably have a tough time with both the vocabulary and some of the violence. Of particular note for bedtime readers: scary scenes in the pitch-blackness when Bilbo the hobbit is threatened by goblins and trolls in caves, and a very creepy scene with Gollum, who keeps thinking about how he’d like to eat Bilbo. The dwarves and Bilbo are captured a few times, whipped once, almost cooked once, and strung upside down to be eaten later. Swords and arrows kill in a big battle that includes some sad deaths. Few truly gory details except a goblin head and a wolf skin propped up on a gate. And there are fights with big spiders and evil wolves. Dwarves, Gandalf, and Bilbo love their drink and making smoke rings from their pipes.  This classic adventure brings out the best in the little hobbit at its center: bravery, loyalty, cunning, and the guts to take a stand against friends blinded by greed so he can help bring about peace.” –Wrights Common Sense Media

The Hobbit is a wonderful tale of adventure, and I hope to see many of you picking it up!  Keep in mind, if you enjoy the story, you just might enjoy the movie series based on the book.

Happy reading!