• Fall Family Weekend 2018 is here! Friday, Oct. 12th thru Sunday, Oct. 14th: Welcome, Parents, Grandparents, & Siblings!

Filed under Editors' Message

Editor’s Message 2014-15

This school year, 2014/15, is the second year that The DiRectory is online. Again this fall, I am pleased to announce that Mrs. Rodman is our fall term Co-Advisor. We both have high expectations for our publication and our staff members this year. We met with Mr. Finnegan, Rectory’s new Assistant Director of Media Communications, who has lots of experience running a newspaper. We picked his brain and have already implemented some of his suggestions. For starters, we have assigned five student Team Leaders, one for each category of the newspaper (News & Opinion; Sports; Arts & Entertainment; Student Life; and Videos & Polls). These Team Leaders will oversee the work of all the student staff members in their department, which will include editing articles, assisting with the production of videos, and ensuring that all staff members meet their monthly publication deadlines. It is our hope that these changes will give our students more experience with the inner workings of a newspaper, as well as improving their collaboration and teamwork skills. So take a look and enjoy the articles and videos from this year’s DiRectory staff!

About the Writer
Mrs. Shattuck, The DiRectory Advisor

In 2013/2014 Mrs. Shattuck became the new student newspaper advisor. She had big shoes to fill, as she took over for Mrs. Rimer who retired the year before from her 16-year position as The DiRectory’s newspaper advisor. Now this is Mrs. Shattuck’s fourth year at The Rectory School. She teaches Grade 8 Language Skills, facilitates the 9th-grade on-line world language courses (through Middlebury College in Vermont), and also tutors students in Rectory’s Individualized Instruction Program. Mrs. Shattuck is very excited that the Rectory student newspaper is still going strong in its second year as an “online only” publication. “In an online newspaper, the articles are more timely, and students can include video clips and interest polls. So the student newspaper is truly interactive and lively, just as a middle-school paper should be!”