• Rectory's winter break starts in just two weeks: Friday, December 14th at 12:40 pm. Enjoy your break!

New Teacher Profile: Ms. Kara Powers

Ms. Kara Powers, new Spanish teacher at The Rectory School

COFFEE POND

Here is the latest installment of The DiRectory’s “New Teacher Profiles,” starring Rectory Spanish teacher, Ms. Powers.

DiRectory: Where did you grow up?

Ms. Powers: I grew up in Manchester By-the-Sea, Massachusetts; it’s north of Boston.

DiRectory: Where did you go to school?

Ms. Powers: I went to…dating back to high school…Manchester Essex Regional High School. Then I went to Hamilton College in Clinton, NY, where I studied Spanish and educational studies. After that I got my Master’s in Spanish at Middlebury College in Vermont.

DiRectory: How did you find out about Rectory?

Ms. Powers: I used to work at the Pomfret School, so I was introduced to this area a few years ago.

DiRectory: When did you realize that you wanted to be a teacher?

Ms. Powers: I think I realized it when I was in high school. I really enjoyed my high school Spanish teacher at the time. He had a lot of energy and was really creative in the classroom.

DiRectory: Why do you like to teach Spanish?

Ms. Powers: I find the language really fascinating, but also the culture surrounded by the traditions and customs.

DiRectory: Have you taught anywhere prior to Rectory?

Ms. Powers: I taught at the Pomfret School, and last year I taught at St. Sebastian School,which is a private school in Needham, Mass.

DiRectory: What do you like most about Rectory?

Ms. Powers: I really enjoy how the day goes. I like the community. I think it’s very warm and welcoming.

DiRectory: How did you develop your teaching style?

Ms. Powers: My style? Probably…dating back to my high school role model. He used a lot of variation in the class — trying to be creative.

DiRectory: What do you like to do when you are not teaching?

Ms. Powers: When I’m not teaching, I like to play tennis; I like to run, and I really like to cook. That’s probably my biggest enjoyment. I like to cook a lot of Greek food — spinach pie, etc. I also like to cook a lot of Spanish and Italian food — more Mediterranean kind of dishes.

DiRectory: Do you have any brothers or sisters? Younger? Older?

Ms. Powers: I have a twin sister (two minutes older) named Marni and a brother (3 and a half years older) named James.

DiRectory: Do you have any pets? If so, what kind and what are their names?

Ms. Powers: Yes, I have a dog named Shiloh. She is 7 years old and is a mix, half Rhodesian Ridgeback and half Hound. She is very energetic.

DiRectory: What kinds of music do you listen to? Do you have any favorite songs or groups?

Ms. Powers: I like most kinds of music — new and old. Some of my favorite groups include The National, Head and the Heart, Of Monsters and Men, Arcade Fire, and Mumford and Sons.

DiRectory: What genres of movies do you like to watch? Do you have any favorite movies?

Ms. Powers: I like most genres of movies! I like Wes Anderson movies like “Budapest Hotel” and “Life Aquatic.” Being from the Boston area, I really enjoyed “Good Will Hunting,” “The Town,” and “The Departed.” Other favorites include “Vicky Cristina Barcelona,” “Midnight in Paris,” “American Hustle,” and “Silver Lining’s Playbook.” “Ace Ventura Pet Detective” is goofy, but admittedly very entertaining.

DiRectory: Who are some of your favorite author,s and what are your favorite books?

Ms. Powers: I seem to flock to short stories (in Spanish) and love Chilean writer Isabel Allende’s work. My favorite is The Stories of Eva Luna.

DiRectory: Where are your favorite places to travel or visit?

Ms. Powers: I lived in Spain for a year, and I wish to return to that beautiful country very soon. In the U.S., I enjoy exploring the west coast (San Francisco) and the South (Charleston and Asheville are beautiful cities to visit –especially if you are a fan like me). More locally, I like to spend time by the beach up in Manchester by-the-sea, MA (where I grew up).

DiRectory: In your personal life, what are some of your plans and goals for the future?

Ms. Powers: I am getting married this August to my fiancé, Patrick — a history teacher at the Pomfret School. We will see what the future holds.

DiRectory: Do you have any advice for Rectory students?

Ms. Powers: Try to stay organized, but also enjoy your subjects and stay on top of homework.

About the Writers
Mae S., Staff Writer

Mae is from North Carolina, and this is her second year at Rectory School. She is in 8th grade, and she loves to read. This is her first year on the Rectory...

Natalie S., Staff Writer

Natalie (Nat) S. is a 7th grader who has been at the Rectory School for almost one year. She has been in newspaper the entire time and completely loves...