• Mid-Term grades for fall term 2018-19 coming out soon!

New Teacher Profiles: Mr. Andrew Barker

Mr. Barker, Rectory language skills and history teacher, dorm parent, and coach

COFFEE POND

Have you ever wondered about the Minnesotan who lives in Lower Memorial? Well, you are in luck, because The DiRectory interviewed the man himself to find out just what makes “the man from the Mid-West” tick. Welcome to the third installment of New Teacher Profiles,” and read on to get educated about the newest addition to our American history teaching crew and boarding faculty, Mr. Andrew Barker.

DiRectory: How did you find out about Rectory?

Mr. Barker: I’ve known about Rectory since the 5th grade, when I saw them wrestling at the Fessenden wrestling tournament. I was going to Fessenden School at the time.

DiRectory: What made you want to become a teacher?

Mr. Barker: I think working with students, always being in a boarding school environment since the 5th grade, and the love of history and language skills.

DiRectory: Why do you like to teach the subjects that you teach?

Mr. Barker: I’ve always been curious about history. Ever since I was told about my own family history from my parents and my grandparents, and it’s just always been the one [that] most interested me in school…always my best subject.

DiRectory: Did you teach anywhere else before Rectory?

Mr. Barker: No, I worked at another school called St. Paul Academy in St. Paul, Minnesota, but I did not teach there.

DiRectory: What is your favorite thing about Rectory?

Mr. Barker:  Just all around…being able to go to classes, you have to play sports every season, all the dorm activities, so the whole aspect of it all… all the different activities and friends.

DiRectory: How did you develop your teaching style?

Mr. Barker: Um, pretty much from seeing others teach, remembering some of my own teachers, and putting my own little touch on it.

DiRectory: When did you realize that you wanted to be a teacher?

Mr. Barker: I think it would date back to my senior year in high school at Taber Academy. I was thinking about college and what I would study. [I was thinking I’d] either go with business or teaching. Kind of mid-way through my business degree, I decided to go into teaching.

DiRectory: Who is your favorite teacher?

Mr. Barker: His name would be Peter Hawkins, and he was my history teacher in 5th grade and the 8th grade at the Fessenden School. He taught American history and Ancient Greek and Roman History.

DiRectory: What are your favorite hobbies when you are not teaching?

Mr. Barker: Usually, the sports I play, which are football, wrestling, and lacrosse; those were my big sports. I like to hike, be outdoors, take walks, not much of a runner, but I lift weights here and there. I do different activities; I used to collect coins as a kid.

DiRectory: Do you have any advice for students?

Mr. Barker: Always try your best. At the end of the day, that’s all you can do is your best, and usually, if you do your best, you’ll end up doing well in school.

DiRectory: Do you have any brothers or sisters? Younger? Older?

Mr. Barker: I have one older brother who lives in Chicago, Illinois, and one younger sister who lives in Fall River, Massachusetts.

DiRectory: Do you have any pets? If so, what are their names?

Mr. Barker: No pets, but I would like to get a dog within the next year.

DiRectory: What kinds of music do you listen to? Do you have any favorite songs?

Mr. Barker: I listen to everything- country, alternative, rap to classical. No favorite songs that I can think of.

DiRectory: What genres of movies do you like to watch? Do you have any favorite movies?

Mr. Barker:  I’m a big movie buff; I love to watch movies whenever I have free time. I love action movies, historical documentaries, and comedies. So, basically, I will watch almost anything. A few of my favorite movies include Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Brave Heart, The Notebook, Tommy Boy, The Goonies– really, I could go on and on!

DiRectory: Who are some of your favorite authors, and what are some of your favorite books?

Mr. Barker:  Nathaniel Philbrick and his book Mayflower and many others of his. I always lean towards non-fiction. The best stories are the ones that actually happened! My favorite children’s book is The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.

DiRectory: Where are your favorite places to travel or visit?

Mr. Barker:  I would love to travel to Florida during the wintertime; my family used to live in Naples, Florida. I loved traveling up the coast of Norway, because heritage-wise I’m one-quarter Norwegian. I also enjoy going to Maine and being by the ocean.

DiRectory: Where is the one place you would most like to travel?

Mr. Barker: I would really like to go to Ireland, because I am one-quarter Irish, too!

DiRectory: In your personal life, what are some of your plans and goals for the future?

Mr. Barker: I would like to teach and live at a boarding school for several years – starting out on a good note with this one [Rectory]! I am getting married on August 8th, 2014. Also, some day I would like to become an athletic director, as my first Bachelor’s degree was in Sports Management. Eventually, I would like to get a Master’s degree, but I don’t know in what yet – maybe Business, Leadership, or Education.

So there you have it! Another new teacher at Rectory School who fits right in with the rest of the faculty. We are all very glad to have Mr. Barker on board; he has been a great addition to our teaching staff. Welcome, Mr. Barker, and may your time here at Rectory be long and happy!

About the Writer
Mae S., Staff Writer

Mae is from North Carolina, and this is her second year at Rectory School. She is in 8th grade, and she loves to read. This is her first year on the Rectory student newspaper staff; she joined the newspaper because she wanted to share her creative interests, such as her love of music, with the Rectory School community.